For more than 30 years, Michael has focused his legal practice on real estate and financing transactions. His clients include commercial and multifamily property owners and developers, as well as home builders, whom he assists in acquisitions and dispositions and in development projects. He also counsels landlords and tenants in commercial leasing matters and represents both institutional lenders and borrowers on loans and workouts.
Michael’s extensive experience with a wide range of real estate transactions enables him to help his clients by identifying for them key business and legal issues in order to achieve desirable outcomes. Clients say of Michael that he assists them in avoiding problems before they arise, and that he helps them structure deals that are not only advantageous from a legal perspective, but also make good business sense.
Michael's engagements include preparation, negotiation and consummation of:
- PSAs and LOIs for sales and purchases of large office buildings, multifamily apartment projects, industrial parks, retail and mixed-use projects, finished lots, raw land and distressed properties. These transactions typically range in size from $5 million to $40 million.
- Significant ground leases, net leases, office leases, industrial leases, retail leases, tenant work letters, lease amendments, subleases, license agreements and SNDAs. These leases range in size from 5,000 to 100,000 square feet.
- Easement agreements, REAs, CC&Rs and development agreements.
- Loan documents for all types of real estate lending and borrowing, including complex construction loans, revolving credit facilities, guidance lines, unit construction financings for condo, townhome and single-family detached product, term and mini-perm loans, mezzanine loans, loan restructurings and workouts. These loans range in size from $10 million all the way up to $400 million syndicated loans.
- Intercreditor and subordination agreements.
- Loan participation agreements and syndicated loan arrangements.
- Purchase agreements for acquisitions and dispositions of non-performing mortgage loans assets (both portfolio and one-off transactions).
- Loan documents for asset-based lending and project financings.
- Asset purchase and stock purchase agreements with respect to real estate and home building businesses.
- Confidentiality agreements and NDAs
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, Michael was a shareholder in Lottner Rubin Fishman Saul. He has also been associated with two major New York law firms, where his practice included the representation of national and international lending institutions in connection with complex financings and workouts.