Dr. Nancy Halpern is a registered patent attorney and Chair of the firm's Animal Law Practice. She represents clients in intellectual property and veterinarian pharmaceuticals. Dr. Halpern also represents animal owners, animal-related businesses, veterinarians, animal research facilities and nonprofit associations in support of their interests in the humane use of animals. A licensed veterinarian in the State of New Jersey, Dr. Halpern previously served as Director of the Division of Animal Health for the New Jersey Department of Agriculture and New Jersey's State Veterinarian. In these posts, she was responsible for the state’s emergency response regarding animal care concerns in the event of natural or man-made disasters; supervision of the sole animal health diagnostic laboratory in New Jersey; and implementation of regulatory and statutory provisions governing animal care, well-being and safety, as well as animal disease surveillance and control.
Dr. Halpern serves on the Board of Directors for Americans for Medical Progress. She also represents the American Veterinary Medical Association in legislative and regulatory matters (excluding services covered by the Lobbying Disclosure Act, 2 U.S.C. § 1601 et seq.), represents the New York Pet Welfare Association, and is an appointee to the Government Affairs Committee of the New Jersey Association for Biomedical Research. In such capacity, Dr. Halpern recently participated in amending the New Jersey Pet Trust Statute, No. A3860, drafting amendments and testifying before the State Assembly’s Agriculture Committee.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Dr. Halpern is certified in EPA Hazardous Materials Incident Response Operations (2006) and has completed USDA Tuberculosis Epidemiology Training (2005) and management-level training for Preparedness and Response to Agricultural Terrorism (2005). She has also completed the IS-700 Introduction to NIMS (2005), presented by FEMA.
Dr. Halpern speaks frequently on issues of animal welfare, animal reform, animal law and emergency response initiatives. She has delivered presentations to the Maine Department of Agriculture, National Conference on Animals in Disaster, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Animal Agriculture Alliance Annual Stakeholders Summit and the New Jersey State Policy Summit on Avian Influenza.
In addition, Dr. Halpern provides animal-related pro bono legal services. Most recently, she has provided assistance to:
- The New Jersey Bar Foundation, by editing mock trial documents that dealt with the death of a dog
- The family of an adopted dog, in recouping their adoption fee after they spent more than $4,000 on surgery to repair their dog’s heart condition, which was not disclosed to them by the rescue group from which the dog was adopted
- The National Animal Interest Alliance (NAIA), by drafting an amicus brief in a federal lawsuit in which NAIA claimed that a city ordinance banning the sale of dogs was preempted by state law
Animal Law Update
Join our team of seasoned attorneys as they offer valuable insight to proposed regulatory and statutory amendments that may impact your animal-related businesses or activities.
Among the articles Nancy has published on veterinary medicine are:
- "Antibiotics in Food Animals: The Convergence of Animal and Public Health, Science, Policy, Politics and the Law," Nancy E. Halpern, D.V.M., Drake Journal of Agricultural Law, Volume 14, Number 3, Fall 2009, 401.
- "Herd and Reproductive Management of Llamas," Nancy E. Halpern, D.V.M, TNAVC Proceedings 1993, 750-755.
- "Llama Medicine," Nancy E. Halpern, D.V.M., ACVC Proceedings 1992, 1-8.
- "Small Ruminant Medicine," Nancy E. Halpern, D.V.M., ACVC Proceedings 1992, 1-9.
- "Equine Parasite Control Program," Nancy Halpern, D.V.M. and Jorgen Hansen, D.V.M., Virginia Cooperative Extension Publication, Publication 406-904, September 1985.
- "Dysphagia in Horses: The Differential Diagnosis - Part I," Karen H. Baum, D.V.M., Paula Modransky, D.V.M., M.S., Nancy E. Halpern, D.V.M. and Linda D. Banish, D.V.M. The Compendium on Continuing Education, Vol. 10, No. 12, November 1988.
Honors & Awards
- Recipient, Somerset County Board of Chosen Freeholders Volunteer Award, 2003
- Recipient, State of New Jersey Team Partnership Achievement Award, 2001
- USDA Year 2001 Secretary's Honor Awards, 2001
- Listed among "New Jersey Rising Stars" by Super Lawyers (2016)