Renowned IP Attorney Perla M. Kuhn Brings Trademark Team to Fox’s New York OfficeMay 1, 2014 – Press Releases
Fox Rothschild LLP is pleased to welcome renowned IP attorney Perla M. Kuhn as a partner and a team of four trademark professionals to its New York office.
Kuhn, a partner with more than 30 years of IP experience, is joined by trademark administrator Cristina Lopez and trademark paralegals Varant Ekmekjian, Elaine Parker and Therese Koelln.
“Perla is an exceptional IP attorney who adds significant depth both to the firm’s already well-regarded IP department and to our New York office,” said Michael I. Slapo, Fox’s New York office managing partner. “Fox’s New York office has welcomed a number of high-profile lateral attorneys over the past year as part of our continued commitment to client service, and we are thrilled to add Perla to our team.”
“It is rare to find an IP attorney as talented as Perla who can also bring aboard knowledgeable trademark paralegals and a trademark administrator,” said Jim Singer, chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property Department. “I am confident that gaining this group, who has a specific focus in trademarks, will prove to be a major asset to our clients.”
Kuhn and her team join Fox’s growing trademark practice, which was recently named to Managing Intellectual Property magazine’s list of firms that filed the most trademark oppositions in 2013. With a team of more than 30 trademark professionals, Fox attorneys assist clients in developing domestic and international brand protection strategies and provide comprehensive representation in the selection, searching, registration, enforcement and defense of trademarks.
Kuhn provides her clients with a practical approach to the protection and enforcement of their intellectual property rights in both domestic and foreign markets. She regularly handles trademark, copyright, licensing, anti-counterfeiting, gray market and Internet issues, including:
- Representing clients in trademark matters before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and in federal court litigation
- Assisting U.S. and international companies in devising strong trademark portfolios for both domestic and foreign protection and advising on the applicability of international agreements
- Prosecuting trademarks before the USPTO, handling trademark litigation before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the USPTO and representing clients in federal court litigation
- Negotiating various intellectual property agreements, including trademark licensing, coexistence, settlement, co-branding, sponsorship and distribution agreements
- Coordinating international investigations, raids and civil actions to combat piracy and counterfeiting in China, Europe and other countries
- Representing trademark owners before U.S. Customs and Border Protection, obtaining exclusion of gray market goods and destruction of counterfeit goods
- Coordinating enforcement actions with Customs Officers in the United Kingdom, Spain, China, Hong Kong, Estonia and Belgium
- Managing substantial domestic and international trademark portfolios for clients in a variety of industries – including fashion, consumer products and financial services
Active in the legal community, Kuhn has held varying positions with numerous organizations, including many with the International Trademark Association (INTA). She was also appointed to the Industry Trade Advisory Committee on Intellectual Property Rights (ITAC-15) by the Secretary of Commerce and the United States Trade Representative.
Kuhn received her LL.B. from the University of Cordoba School of Law, her Masters of Comparative Law from Tulane University Law School, her Masters of Laws from the University of Pennsylvania Law School and her J.D. from New York University School of Law.
Lopez has experience preparing and filing trademark applications, reviewing search reports, responses to office actions, assignments, renewals, statements of use, Section 8 and 15 Affidavits and other maintenance filings.
Ekmekjian has experience filing U.S. trademark applications, extensions of time to prove use and statements of use; U.S. and international searching, filing motions and pleadings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and researching domain names.
Parker brings more than 15 years of experience with maintenance of U.S. trademark registrations and filing U.S. trademark applications, mergers, assignments, changes of name and address, and filing copyright applications with the U.S. Copyright Office.
Koelln has more than 30 years of experience with all aspects of filing foreign applications and renewals, mergers, assignments, changes of name and address and recordal of trademarks before Customs and Border Protection.
Kuhn and team were all formerly with Edwards Wildman.