Patrick has more than 30 years of experience handling strategic portfolio development and resolving patent disputes involving commercially significant patents, including re-examinations, reissues and interferences. With a focus on patents involving the chemical arts, Patrick regularly supervises the preparation and prosecution of patent applications; prepares validity, infringement and freedom-to-operate opinions; and handles licensing and due diligence reviews in the context of mergers and acquisitions.
Patrick has extensive experience with foreign patent practice, particularly in the European Patent Office, gained from nearly nine years practicing U.S. patent law in Germany. He assists clients with foreign opposition and invalidity proceedings in Europe, Japan and South Korea. He also frequently utilizes his expansive network of contacts in Europe and Asia to assist clients.
Patrick’s technical experience with products and processes is broad and ranges from peptide synthesis and non-invasive surgical techniques to photographic chemicals and battery chemistry.
- Represented Nippon Steel in several inter partes and ex parte re‑examinations. The company’s patents were challenged by POSCO in a series of four complex re-examination proceedings.
- Advised AkzoNobel on numerous re-examinations and companion litigation.
- Represented AkzoNobel in a patent infringement case filed against Dow Chemicals (AkzoNobel v. Dow Chemicals (D. Del.)) involving Akzo’s patented process for the creation of aqueous polymer dispersions.
- Prosecuted patents in a wide variety of chemistry-related fields on behalf of AkzoNobel, Cellectis, Fresenius Medical Care AG, Kenrich Petrochemicals Inc., Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corp., and others.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, Patrick was a partner at an IP boutique law firm where he chaired the Life Science/Chemical Patent Prosecution Practice.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Patrick served on the editorial board of Patent World magazine for many years and has authored numerous articles and monographs published in Intellectual Property Strategist, Patent World, Patent Yearbook, Managing Intellectual Property and Euromoney, among other publications.
Honors & Awards
- Named an International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers (2014)
- Listed among IAM 1000 in the areas of “National: Post-grant Procedures” and “New York: Prosecution” (2016)
- Listed in The Legal 500 United States in the area of “IP – Patent prosecution: utility and design patents” (2016)
- Named a New York “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property (2014, 2016)