Pat is a business litigator whose practice centers on insurance coverage litigation, class-action and multiparty lawsuits and business disputes involving breach of contract, unfair competition and other business torts.
Pat regularly advises policyholders from a variety of industries such as banking and financial services, railroad, agriculture, medical device and consumer products on insurance coverage matters involving commercial general liability (CGL), professional liability/errors and omissions (E&O), directors and officers (D&O) and fiduciary liability policies, among others.
Pat has successfully tried complex cases to juries and courts, both state and federal, and has handled several cases on appeal.
- Represented Select Comfort Corporation in an insurance coverage lawsuit against CGL insurer, seeking reimbursement for defense costs incurred in an underlying class action. Prevailed in two rounds of summary judgment and then won the jury trial, resulting in recovery of unreimbursed defense costs plus approximately $1.2 million in attorneys’ fees and interest.
- Tried $25 million insurance coverage claim on behalf of UnitedHealth Group against an excess professional liability insurer in Pennsylvania state liquidation proceeding.
- Obtained dismissals of multiple consumer fraud class actions venued in federal courts throughout the country involving design and manufacturing defect claims against window, plumbing and bed manufacturers and distributors.
- Obtained ruling from the Minnesota Supreme Court in favor of the medical staff of Avera Marshall Regional Medical Center in a lawsuit against the hospital, setting a Minnesota law precedent that the medical staff bylaws were an enforceable contract and the medical staff had capacity to maintain the lawsuit as an unincorporated association under Minnesota Statutes Section 540.151.
- Handled a series of multimillion-dollar insurance coverage lawsuits venued in federal courts in Minnesota, North Dakota and Indiana arising out of underlying claims relating to the alleged defective design and construction of ethanol plants.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a Swiss medical device maker in a lawsuit brought by a licensee and domestic distributor of a device, obtaining with-prejudice dismissal of all of the licensee’s claims and judgment in favor of the client on its counterclaim and affirmative defenses.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox as a partner, Pat was a senior associate at Oppenheimer Wolff & Donnelly LLP.
During law school, Pat was a staff member and assistant editor with the William Mitchell Law Review. Prior to law school, he was an Executive Compensation & Benefits Intern at Target Corp.’s headquarters in Minneapolis.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Pat served on the board of directors of Neighborhood Roots, an organization that provides the Fulton, Kingfield and Nokomis areas with farmers’ markets that stock fresh, local food.
Honors & Awards
- Included in a list of "Rising Stars" by Super Lawyers Magazine (2016)
- Noted as a “North Star Lawyer” by the Minnesota State Bar Association for pro bono work (2013)
- Recipient, Oppenheimer Pro Bono Award (2008)
- Recipient of five CALI Awards for Highest Grade in Course