Peter's practice incorporates a wide variety of international and corporate matters, including:
- mergers and acquisitions
- private equity transactions
- corporate finance
- joint ventures
- insurance and reinsurance transactions
A Chambers USA ranked attorney, Peter has worked on several hundred transactions throughout his career. He also provides general corporate representation to many public and private companies, with a particular focus on advising European companies in entering the United States market.
During 2012, Peter served as the lead outside counsel on four of the 50 largest M&A transactions as listed in the Philadelphia Business Journal. The enterprise value of these transactions was over $2.0 billion.
Peter serves as chair of the firm's International Practice Group and co-chair of the Mergers and Acquisitions Practice Group. He is also a former member of the Executive Committee, the firm’s governing body.
Before Fox Rothschild
While serving as the Chair of the International Practice Group at a prior Am Law 20 law firm, Peter was the architect of the first acquisition in United States history whereby a United States law firm acquired a European law firm with which it had no prior affiliation. This historic acquisition received extensive press coverage in both the United States and Europe. Immediately prior to joining the firm, Peter was an equity partner at DLA Piper.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
In 2005, the President of the Republic of France, Jacques Chirac, bestowed upon Peter the title of Chevalier (Knight) of the French Legion of Honor. The French Legion of Honor, which was established by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1802, recognizes eminent service to the Republic of France and is the country's most prestigious award.
Peter is very active in the community. He serves as the chairman of the board of trustees of The Pennington School, a private, secondary school located near Princeton, NJ and as president of the Philadelphia Chapter of the French-American Chamber of Commerce. Additionally, Peter sits on the Pennsylvania Advisory Board of HSBC Bank USA, N.A., as well as the board of directors of London Life Reinsurance Company and the Dikembe Mutombo Foundation, Inc. He also served multiple terms over 10 years as co-chair of the International Law Committee of the Philadelphia Bar Association.
In addition to Georgetown University, Peter has also studied at the University of Dijon, France and the Hague Academy of International Law, The Hague, the Netherlands.
One of Peter's passions is international travel and he is attempting to become a member of the Travelers' Century Club. To become a member you must have traveled to at least 100 countries. To date, Peter has visited 77 countries.
Peter has the largest private collection in the world of letters written by and furniture owned by Joseph Bonaparte, the elder brother of Napoleon Bonaparte. Joseph was at one time King of Naples and then King of Spain. Peter recently curated an exhibition of his Bonaparte collection, which was profiled in The New York Times. Peter also appeared in a television documentary titled “Bonaparte’s Retreat,” which has aired numerous times on PBS.
Peter is also very active with a number of philanthropic initiatives. In March 2014, he participated in a medical mission to Haiti in conjunction with The Pennington School and in July 2014 and July 2015 participated in medical missions to the Democratic Republic of the Congo in conjunction with the Dikembe Mutombo Foundation.
- Represented a NYSE company in a number of acquisitions and divestitures. The enterprise value of these transactions is in excess of $1.2 billion.
- Represented HSBC Bank in numerous transactions, the value of which exceeded $1.0 billion.
- Represented Harleysville Group Inc. (NASDAQ: HGIC) in its $842 million acquisition by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company.
- Represented a logistics company in the international reorganization of the company and the subsequent sale of 55 percent of its equity to a private equity firm for $60 million.
- Represented the third-largest general labor staffing firm in the United States in its sale to TrueBlue, Inc. (NYSE: TBI) for a base purchase price of $48 million.
- Continues to serve as outside general counsel for a state-chartered bank. In this capacity, Peter has represented the bank in a series of rights offering totaling more than $38 million.
- Represented an international specialty freight forwarding and logistics company in a series of transactions including: (1) the acquisition of two companies in England; (2) the formation of a joint venture in Mexico with a Brazilian company; (3) the acquisition of three companies in Mexico; and (4) the acquisition of a United States company that is a leading freight forwarding company for the fine arts industry. The enterprise value of these acquisitions is in excess of $30 million.
- Represented a manufacturer of organic beverages in a series of equity investments, totaling more than $22 million made by private equity investors from Switzerland, The Bahamas, Canada, and the United States.
- Represented a Canadian reinsurance company in a series of acquisitions and divestitures. The enterprise value of these transactions is in excess of $20 million.
- Assisted a NYSE company in negotiating and drafting a Joint Venture Agreement with a Swiss company.
Honors & Awards
- Named to a list of Trailblazers in Mergers & Acquisitions by The National Law Journal (2016)
- Named as one of the leading Corporate/M&A and Private Equity attorneys in Pennsylvania, Chambers USA (2013, 2014, 2015)
- M&A Deal of the Year (From $10MM to $25MM) for the Acquisition of Nelson Pipeline by Beirne Pipeline Holdings partnered with Axis Private Equity (2015)
- Awarded the title of Chevalier (Knight) of the French Legion of Honor by the President of the Republic of France, Jacques Chirac (2005)
- Included in a list of Pennsylvania "Super Lawyers" by Philadelphia Magazine and Law & Politics Magazine (2004 through 2016)
- Recipient of the Philadelphia Business Journal's "40 Under 40" award, a recognition given to 40 individuals under the age of 40 who have made a profound impact on the Philadelphia region (2001)
- Awarded the Order of the Tower by The Pennington School (2004)
- Included in a list of "Super Lawyers" in the field of International by Super Lawyers Magazine (Corporate Counsel Edition) (2010)