Assistance Available to New Jersey Businesses Impacted by Hurricane SandyNovember 16, 2012 – Alerts
Governor Chris Christie recently announced the numerous services that the New Jersey Business Action Center (BAC) will provide to those businesses affected by Hurricane Sandy. The services, ranging from financial support, temporary space and technical assistance, will aid in the state’s business and economic recovery.
Among the services the BAC will provide include:
- Temporary hubs for affected businesses to access telephones and internet services for job seekers and displaced workers seeking workforce development and unemployment assistance.
- Guarantees of up to $500,000 for commercial lines of credit to businesses that need access to cash to improve their damaged property while waiting for insurance proceeds, with all related New Jersey Economic Development Authority fees waived.
- Grant awards for businesses to assist with on-the-job training costs for new workers hired specifically to assist in disaster-related activities, such as landscaping and tree removal, construction, insurance claims, building supplies sales, materials transport, utility work, call and claims centers staffing and infrastructure clearing and repair.
- Disaster Unemployment Benefits to provide income security for those displaced workers suffering temporary storm-related job loss.
- New Jersey Youth Corps volunteer services to assist nonprofit, public and governmental entities in a variety of ways for disaster relief and clean-up.
- Arranging business facility inspections for buildings suffering major flood damage.
- Advocating for businesses seeking information from local utilities to restore electric, phone, gas and water services.
- Advocating with insurance carriers to file and expedite claims.
- Providing information on how to qualify for federal recovery assistance.
Interested businesses can find more information on these services at www.newjerseybusiness.gov or by calling 1-866-534-7789.
Fox Rothschild is here to support the needs of recovering businesses and has created a Disaster Recovery Consultation Unit comprised of a cross-practice team of attorneys fluent in insurance, tax, labor and employment, construction, government contracts and litigation issues. We encourage you to reach out to a Fox Rothschild attorney if we may be of assistance.