Named as one of the leading bankruptcy/restructuring attorneys by Chambers USA, Rick focuses his practice on creditor's rights, workouts, reorganizations and insolvency-related issues. With nearly 40 years of experience, Rick represents clients – including local, national and multinational corporations; commercial banks and institutional lenders in the New York/New Jersey metropolitan region; and official and unofficial committees in Chapter 11 cases – who trust him for guidance on their most sensitive issues.
Rick has been appointed as both an examiner and special Chapter 11 trustee by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey. He has also been approved as a mediator in connection with the:
- Circuit City bankruptcy cases by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Eastman Kodak Company cases by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Registry of Court-Approved Mediators for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey
Rick appears regularly before the U.S. Bankruptcy Courts for the District of New Jersey, the Southern District of New York and the District of Delaware.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining the firm, Rick was a partner with Day Pitney LLP. While attending law school, Rick clerked for The Honorable Arthur L. Burnett, Chief Magistrate, of the U.S. District Court in Washington, DC.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
A frequent lecturer, Rick speaks throughout the United States on a wide variety of bankruptcy-related topics, including ethics, bankruptcy sales, real estate workouts and bankruptcy/environmental matters, fraudulent transfer and lender liability issues, and director and officer liability.
Rick has served on several committees and boards including:
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member of the Board of Directors
- Member of the National Ethics Task Force
- Advisory Board member of "Views from the Bench" co-sponsored by Georgetown University Law Center Continuing Legal Education Division
- Past Vice President of Publications
- Ethics Committee co-chair from 2001-2008
- Past chair of the Research and Education Committee
- Former associate editor of the ABI Journal
- American Bar Association, Section of Business Law
- Chair of the Professional Ethics Subcommittee of the Business Bankruptcy Committee
- Co-chair of the Abuses of Bankruptcy Process Subcommittee of the Business Bankruptcy Committee
- Business Bankruptcy Committee Liaison to the American Bankruptcy Institute
- Former chair of the Bankruptcy Appeals and the Labor & Employment Law subcommittees of the Business Bankruptcy Committee
- Anti-Defamation League
- National Associate Commissioner (2000-present)
- Former chair of the New Jersey Regional Advisory Board (1996-1999)
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of New Jersey
- Member of the Local Bankruptcy Rules Revision Committee
Honors & Awards
- Included in a list of "Best Lawyers in America" in the area of Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2010-2018)
- Selected as one of "New Jersey's Top Legal Minds" by the American Registry (2013)
- Selected as one of the "Best Attorneys in New York" by Best Lawyers (2013)
- Named as one of the leading bankruptcy/restructuring attorneys in Chambers USA Legal Directory (2009-2018)
- Named a "Top Rated Lawyer in Banking and Finance Law" by ALM (2013, 2014)
- Due to his involvement in the firm's financial restructuring and bankruptcy department, Rick helped Fox earn the 2011 New Jersey - Bankruptcy & Restructuring Law Firm of the Year Award from Global Law Experts
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV® Preeminent™" rated
- Selected for inclusion in Who’s Who Legal USA Insolvency & Restructuring (2006)
- Included in a list of "New Jersey's Best Lawyers" in the area of Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency & Reorganization Law (2011-2012)
- Included in a list of New Jersey "Super Lawyers" (2005-2009, 2011-2017)
- Included in a list of "Super Lawyers," Corporate Counsel Edition (2009 and 2010)
- Included in a list of New Jersey "Super Lawyers" in the area of Bankruptcy (2017-2018)