Ryan focuses his practice on complex litigation and arbitration, class actions, white-collar compliance and defense matters. He represents a variety of clients in commercial litigation matters in the pharmaceutical, consumer product, financial services, transportation, and entertainment industries. He advises institutions and companies in connection with federal investigations and provides strategic counsel in civil and criminal proceedings involving potential antitrust violations, money laundering, insider trading and violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, among others.
In addition, Ryan advises clients on handling data breach incidents, including how to comply with notification procedures under various state laws, as well as assists with internal investigations to discern what happened and how to prevent future breaches.
- Conducted internal investigations and advised individual and corporate clients in connection with issues related to Foreign Corrupt Practices Act compliance.
- Represented an international financial institution in a U.S. government investigation into the bank’s historic processing of transactions that may violate U.S. sanctions laws.
- Represented a consumer products company in a class action case alleging false advertising of a product.
- Represented a financial institution in a class action case regarding loan disclosures, obtaining dismissal of the case.
- Represented a consumer products company in a class action case alleging breach of warranty in connection with sale of product.
- Represented an international airline in two New York state court actions for breach of contract.
- Prevailed in an immigration trial that allowed the client to remain in the United States with his family.
- Represented a man incarcerated for 30 years after uncovering DNA evidence establishing his innocence, arguing the matter on appeal before the New York Supreme Court Appellate Division, in a case that ultimately led to the client’s exoneration and dismissal of all charges.
- Represented a regional bank in connection with a U.S. government investigation related to anti-money laundering compliance.
- Represented defendants in a civil Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act matter, obtaining a dismissal of that claim in federal court.
- Represented a music company in a copyright infringement action against an international defendant, including winning appeal in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, vacating the district court’s dismissal of the case for lack of personal jurisdiction.
- Represented individuals and companies in connection with state and federal grand jury investigations.
- Advised corporate clients on responding to breaches of their network security and how to properly respond to such incidents.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, Ryan was an associate at a major New York law firm. While there, he was selected to participate in a four-month externship program with MFY Legal Services, Inc., where he represented low-income tenants in New York Housing Court.
Before launching his legal practice, Ryan worked as a paralegal specialist for the antitrust division of the U.S. Department of Justice. He is also a former investment banking financial analyst for a global investment banking and asset management firm in Chicago.
During law school, Ryan served as comments editor for the Penn State Law Review and was President of the Student Bar Association.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Ryan is extensively involved with the Arthritis Foundation in a variety of volunteer leadership capacities. He currently serves as Chairman of the Board of Directors for the Eastern Pennsylvania Chapter of the Arthritis Foundation, and is also a member of the Board of Directors of the Arthritis Foundation’s Northeast Region. Ryan is also currently the Chairman of the Philadelphia Walk to Cure Arthritis, which raised more than $100,000 in 2014. He has previously coordinated the logistical details of more than 270 Arthritis Walks across the country throughout his many years of service with the organization.
In addition, Ryan is a member of the Board of Governors for the Notre Dame Club of Philadelphia, and Vice President of the Holy Ghost Preparatory School Alumni Association, where he is also a member of the school’s Education Committee. He is also a member of Community Legal Services, Leadership Council, Bar Division.