Named one of the leading corporate attorneys in Pennsylvania by Chambers USA, Sandy focuses her practice in corporate, transactional, insurance and international matters for public and private companies of all sizes, including mergers & acquisitions, divestitures, corporate finance, private equity and venture capital investments and financing, securities and private placements, corporate governance, joint ventures and insurance regulatory matters.
Sandy advises businesses during all phases from formation to sale, merger or dissolution. Her experience includes forming, dissolving and qualifying companies; ensuring corporate clients are in compliance with statutory requirements; and drafting and negotiating stock purchase agreements, asset purchase agreements, merger agreements, joint venture agreements, shareholder agreements, operating agreements, distribution agreements, employment agreements, consulting agreements and office lease agreements.
Sandy has represented:
- Healthy Beverage, LLC, an Inventages portfolio company, in the sale of 100 percent of its membership interests to an undisclosed strategic buyer for an undisclosed purchase price. Healthy Beverage sources and markets organic, fair trade, ready-to-drink green tea based products in three product lines: Iced Tea, Energy and Cactus Water, under the brand “Steaz."
- Novasep, a leading supplier of manufacturing solutions for the life science industries, in the sale of its U.S. subsidiary, TangenX Technology Corporation (TangenX), to Repligen Corporation (NASDAQ: RGEN) in an all-cash transaction for EUR 37 million (approximately $39 million).
- Harleysville Group Inc. (NASDAQ: HGIC) in its $834 million acquisition by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company.
- A New York Stock Exchange company in a number of acquisitions and divestitures. The enterprise value of these transactions is in excess of $425 million.
- A logistics company in its international reorganization and subsequent sale of 55 percent of its equity to a private equity firm for $60 million.
- Healthcare Providers Insurance Exchange (HPIX), a top-10 insurer of physician commercial medical professional liability in the Mid-Atlantic area, in the sale of its rights, title, interests in and to its policies to Medical Mutual Insurance Company of North Carolina.
- A distributor of forklifts, aerial lifts, warehouse products, construction equipment and stand-by power generators in the sale of its aerial lift business for $6 million as well as the refinancings of its credit facilities for an aggregate of $49 million.
- A larger, national general labor staffing provider in the sale of substantially all of its assets to a large, national blue-collar staffing provider for a base purchase price of $48 million.
- A private equity firm in several transactions, including a joint venture in which it acquired the assets of an underground utility contractor specializing in the construction of underground sewer, water, and storm sewer pipelines, and also its investment in a provider and franchisor of dog daycare and luxury boarding services in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. The enterprise value of these transactions was in excess of $30 million.
- An international specialty freight forwarding and logistics company in a series of transactions including: (1) the acquisition of two companies in England; (2) the formation of a joint venture in Mexico with a Brazilian company; (3) the acquisition of three companies in Mexico; and (4) the acquisition of a U.S. company that is a leading freight forwarding company for the fine arts industry. The enterprise value of these acquisitions was in excess of $30 million.
- A manufacturer of organic beverages in a series of equity investments— totaling more than $21 million—made by private equity investors from Switzerland, The Bahamas, Canada and the United States.
- A Canadian reinsurance company in a series of acquisitions and divestitures where the enterprise value of these transactions was in excess of $20 million.
- A leading New Jersey liquor store retailer in the acquisition of a 51% of its ownership interest by a U.S. subsidiary of a Canadian-based publicly traded liquor retailer, for $15 million.
- A distributor of specialty and gourmet foods to restaurants, hotels, caterers and gourmet stores in the sale of its assets in New York and New Jersey to another specialty and gourmet foods distributor for $8.9 million.
- An insurance agency and brokerage business in the sale of its assets for $3.75 million.
- A Pennsylvania mutual insurance company in its purchase of a Pennsylvania insurance adjustment agency.
- A global solutions provider for the financial services industry focusing on advisory in banking and insurance complexity reduction and analytics, in its purchase and then its subsequent sale of 100 percent of the stock of a provider of monitoring solutions for the financial services and other industries.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox Rothschild from law school, Sandy was a corporate paralegal/legal secretary for DLA Piper US LLP and Reed Smith LLP in Philadelphia. She also obtained her post-Bachelor Certificate of Proficiency in Paralegal Studies from Peirce College in Philadelphia prior to attending law school.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Sandy is actively involved in her community serving as a director for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Philadelphia, Inc., as President of the Bridesburg Boys & Girls Club’s Unit Council, and as a trustee for the Henry Reed Hatfield Nicetown Playground located in Philadelphia.
Sandy's pro bono activities involve providing free basic estate planning documents to first responders (including firefighters, police officers, paramedics, EMTs, correctional officers, probation officers and other sworn personnel from federal, state, county, city and town departments and agencies) and military veterans in Pennsylvania and other states through the Wills for Heroes program. The program in Pennsylvania is co-sponsored by the Pennsylvania Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Division. She also serves as a director of the Wills for Heroes Foundation, as well as its corporate secretary and co-director of national affiliate development.
Sandy also serves on the Paralegal Studies Program Advisory Committee at Peirce College in Philadelphia.
Desk References (pdf files)
Honors & Awards
- Named to a list of Trailblazers in Mergers & Acquisitions by The National Law Journal (2016)
- Awarded the Emerging Leader Award by The M&A Advisor (2016)
- M&A Deal of the Year (From $10MM to $25MM) for the Acquisition of Nelson Pipeline by Beirne Pipeline Holdings partnered with Axis Private Equity (2015)
- Named a "Lawyer on the Fast Track" by The Legal Intelligencer (2015)
- Recipient of Verdina Y. Showell Award from the Pennsylvania Bar Association for her outstanding community service and commitment to Wills for Heroes (November 2013)
- Named as one of the leading corporate attorneys in Pennsylvania, Chambers USA (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Presented with the Alumni Honoree Award from the Boys & Girls Clubs of Philadelphia, Inc. for her continuous commitment and dedication to the organization (2012)