Ranked by Chambers USA as a leader in construction law for eight consecutive years, Sarah represents owners, contractors, developers, architects and engineers, both in the United States and abroad, in all stages of the construction process. She focuses her practice on large, capital-intensive construction projects, with a particular emphasis on drafting and negotiating contracts for complex and unique construction and infrastructure, as well as litigating disputes involving such projects both in the courtroom and in domestic and international arbitration.
In a project expected to be the largest development of the decade in New York City, Sarah represented Technion-Israel Institute of Technology in connection with the Technion-Cornell joint venture, in the construction of a new applied science university and related facilities on Roosevelt Island. She was involved in the construction of InterActive Corporation’s futuristic headquarters and AOL’s headquarters, including the CNN newsroom, in the Time Warner building. Internationally, she represents one of the joint venture partners constructing the expansion of the Panama Canal, and represented the EPC contractor who designed and constructed the construction of a 220-megawatt hydroelectric plant in Changuinola, Panama.
Sarah has also been involved in the construction of industrial smelters, waste ammonia recovery systems, solar power installations and health care facilities. She is currently defending a European construction company in connection with Defense Base Act claims arising out of the 1968 crash of a B-52 bomber carrying nuclear warheads at an airbase in Greenland.
- Constructora Urbana, S.A. - Represented a joint venture partner with French-based VINCI Construction for the construction of a four-lane concrete cable-stayed bridge north of the Panama Canal Gatun Locks, owned by the Panama Canal Authority, an autonomous entity of the Government of Panama. The construction of the three-kilometer bridge is part of the Panama Canal Expansion Program.
- E. Phil - Represented a Danish construction company in the construction of a 220-megawatt hydroelectric plant in Changuinola, Panama and successfully defended and prosecuted claims in ICC arbitration against the owner developer of the plant.
- Technion University - Drafted and negotiated joint venture agreement with Cornell University to develop and construct a premier, state-of-the-art applied science graduate school and research facility and campus on land provided by the City of New York on Roosevelt Island for Mayor Bloomberg’s signature economic development and infrastructure project.
- Hudson River Park Trust - Successfully defended the Trust in a vigorously contested bid protest brought by a disappointed low bidder. The Trust is a public benefit corporation in partnership between the state of New York and New York City charged with the design, construction and operation of the five-mile Hudson River Park.
- Public Service Electric & Gas Corporation - Represented PSEG Services Corp. with regard to claims arising out of the construction and close-out of a fossil fuel power plant in Trenton, NJ. Litigation began when the EPC contractor walked off the job and terminated its services as contractor. Negotiated settlements regarding final acceptance of certain power plant operating systems and successfully avoided litigation regarding final completion and disputed and defective work claims.
- Palace Electric v. Constructamax, Locust Valley Central School District et al - Successfully negotiated and settled on behalf of school district multiparty litigation involving multimillion-dollar claims against the school district and one of prime contracts.
- NYMEX v. Forest Electric Corporation - Successfully negotiated and settled lien foreclosure case involving disaster recovery trading facility maintained outside New York by NYMEX in event of catastrophe.
- DASNY v. Urban Foundation/Engineering, LLC - Successfully negotiated and settled multiparty litigation involving multimillion-dollar claims of negligence, defective workmanship and defective design of waterproofing system for student affairs building on Baruch College campus.
- Heller v. Marvin Windows - Successfully negotiated and settled case involving mold and defective window design against major national window manufacturer.
- Jet Blast Hydrodemolition - Won breach of contract claim for plaintiff in jury trial; judgment was affirmed on appeal by New Jersey Superior Court, Appellate Division.
- Petersen Geller & Spurge - Structured and negotiated settlement on behalf of millwork designer in multimillion-dollar litigation involving construction of new federal courthouse in Brooklyn.
- NYC Headquarters of IAC/InterActiveCorp - Drafted, negotiated and counseled developer for and owner of, Frank Gehry-designed headquarters of internet conglomerate with regard to contracts for construction management, design professional, trade contractor and consultant.
- Verizon Communications, Inc. - Drafted and negotiated contracts for construction management, design professional, trade contractor and consultant for national leader in telecommunications industry.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, Sarah was a partner at an East Coast-based law firm.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Sarah is co-author of the leading treatise on New York construction law, the New York Construction Law Manual. She also authors the chapter on New York law in Fifty State Construction Lien and Bond Law (3rd Edition) and the New York chapter in State-by-State Guide to Architect, Engineer and Contractor Licensing. Sarah also co-authored the chapter on “Legal Relationships” in Temporary Structures in Construction (3rd Edition).
Sarah is a frequent lecturer on construction issues. She serves as an adjunct professor, teaching a course on high-growth corporate transactions in Cornell Law School’s Technology Law L.L.M. program. She is a member of the New Jersey Israel Commission, by appointment of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, and is fluent in conversational Hebrew.
Honors & Awards
- Named as one of the leading construction attorneys in New York by Chambers USA (2009-2017)
- Included in a list of New York "Super Lawyers" (2010-2017)
- Listed in Practical Law Company, Construction and Projects (2010-2012)
- Listed among “The Top Women Attorneys in the New York Metro Area” by Super Lawyers (2012, 2014-2016)