A nationally ranked trial lawyer, Scott represents Fortune 500 companies in lawsuits that focus on technology, intellectual property, health care, and privacy and data security. For a diverse range of clients, including First Data Corporation, GlaxoSmithKline and Merck & Co., Inc., Scott has tried cases in state and federal courts across the country, and before arbitral forums.
Scott’s recent work includes:
- Defending Euphrates, Inc. against derivative and other claims in New York state court. The allegations involve both Euphrates and Chobani Inc., the well-known Greek yogurt company.
- Successful defense of First Data Merchant Services in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York in a putative class action arising out of a merchant processing agreement.
- Defense and prosecution of claims arising out of a “change of control” provision stemming from a business combination between Merck & Co., Inc. and Schering-Plough Corporation. The case was settled after a multi-week arbitration administered by the International Centre for Dispute Resolution.
For a full list of Scott's recent representative matters, please click here.
For 11 consecutive years, Chambers USA has ranked Scott – also previously a BTI Client Service All-star – as a leading litigation attorney in Pennsylvania. According to Chambers, clients say Scott is:
- “very savvy, succinct and a strategist. He thinks issues through and instills confidence.”
- "thoughtful, dogged and very smart."
- "an indefatigable attorney – when it came to the crunch, he dug in and did what was needed."
- "one of those guys who understands that it's about moving your business forward. He is pragmatic and focuses on business resolution."
- "he emphasizes the importance of early assessment and constant assessment of the merits and weaknesses of a case. He's top-notch."
Over the past decade, Scott has developed a particular fluency in the rapidly evolving field of privacy and data security. He routinely counsels multinational and mid-sized businesses on how to mitigate risk and overcome the challenges posed by the current state and federal enforcement environment. For several years, Scott has contributed to the “Combating Cyberthreats” section of West/Thompson Reuters’ Data Security and Privacy Law guide.
A recognized authority on privacy and data security, Scott provides commentary to news outlets ranging from The Economist, The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times to Forbes, The Huffington Post and Compliance Week. Scott’s commentary has also appeared on The O’Reilly Factor, The Willis Report, Marketplace, Studio B with Shepard Smith and local ABC affiliates.
Scott’s broad litigation practice encompasses:
- Licensing and technology transfer agreements
- Intellectual property, trade secrets, restrictive covenants and unfair competition
- Software and hardware technology service agreements
- Merchant processing and electronic payments
- Mergers, acquisitions and corporate changes-of-control
- Government contracting and procurement
- Commercial lending, FCRA, FDCPA and TILA
Scott serves as national trial counsel for First Data Corporation, and his clients include:
- Aramark Corporation
- Banc of America Merchant Services, LLC
- Bausch & Lomb
- Fidelity National Information Services, Inc.
- First Data Merchant Services
- GATX Corporation
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Hyatt Corporation
- Lockheed Martin
- Magellan Health, Inc.
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Reyes Holdings, LLC
- Valeant Pharmaceutical, Inc.
- VF Sportswear, Inc.
Scott is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and is a former Office Managing Partner of the Philadelphia office, the largest of the firm’s 22 offices.
Sensitive data. Gone. Stolen by faceless thieves who breached the company’s seemingly secure network. But combating potential catastrophe and navigating proper response protocol has never been easier, thanks to an iPhone app launched by Fox. Scott was instrumental in the creation of the app, which promises a guide to swift damage control at the fingertips.
The app is currently available for free in the iTunes Store. To download it, click here.
Honors & Awards
- Named as one of the leading litigation attorneys in Pennsylvania, Chambers USA (2007 through 2017)
- Named to a list of Trailblazers in Cyber Security Law by The National Law Journal (2016)
- Named to the 2009 BTI Client Services All-Star Team for Law Firms (2009)
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" rated
- Named a "Super Lawyer" by Philadelphia Magazine and Law & Politics Magazine (2005 through 2017)
- Named to “Super Lawyers Business Edition” in the area of Business Litigation (2013)