Fox attorneys counsel regional, national and international sports teams, governing bodies and leagues, celebrities, athletic foundations and others on matters ranging from intellectual property and licensing to multimillion-dollar sponsorship deals and real estate leasing.
Our team assists our sports clients with both the concrete and the virtual – athletic complex construction projects, brand marketing initiatives, facility contracts, game development, leasing issues, mobile applications and a host of legal issues. With our globally recognized gaming law practice, Fox attorneys also have a particular fluency in issues involving promotions, contests, campaigns and sweepstakes, including those in both traditional and social media platforms.
Many of our attorneys have personal experience as athletes, performers and agents, and that experience fuels their intimate knowledge of the industry. Entrenched in the field for decades, we know first-hand the factors that drive the sports industry. From past trends to perceptive predictions on what’s to come, we understand the daily decisions and challenges facing executives, managers and athletes.
Recently, our sports industry attorneys have:
- Served as counsel to both the Philadelphia 76ers of the National Basketball Association (NBA) and its D-League affiliate, the Delaware 87ers. As the team’s primary attorneys, we have advised on:
- Ticket sales and game promotion programs across multiple media platforms
- Fan loyalty programs
- Corporate sponsorships
- Strategic brand-building partnerships and initiatives
- Served as regulatory counsel to both the Philadelphia 76ers and the National Hockey League (NHL) franchise, the New Jersey Devils, in a deal with partypoker.com to become the first major U.S. professional sports teams to execute an online gaming sponsorship.
- Negotiated the necessary contracts and licensing agreements with bid teams from London; Paris and Limerick, Ireland to bring Gay Games X to Paris in 2018.
- Represented the City of Philadelphia and its economic development authority in connection with the expansion of the city’s sports complex, handling coordination with the state government, financing, leasing, environmental matters, insurance and all other aspects of the development. Served as lead attorney in the land assemblage and lease negotiations, which resulted in the development of Citizens Bank Park and Lincoln Financial Field, and the respective occupancy by the Philadelphia Phillies and the Philadelphia Eagles.
For a full list of representative matters, click here.
Fox attorneys are also extensively involved in a number of sports-related organizations, including serving as:
- Outside general counsel and member of the board of advisors for the National Sports Marketing Network, the trade organization for the sports business industry in the United States
- Major League Baseball Players Association Certified Player Agent
- Litigation chair of the American Bar Association Forum on the Entertainment and Sports Industries
- Vice-president and general counsel of the Black Entertainment and Sports Lawyers Association (BESLA)
- Past BESLA board chairman, president and executive committee member
- Member of the BESLA Hall of Fame
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Licensed Athletic Agent
- Executive committee member of the Philadelphia Convention and Visitor’s Bureau Sports Congress
- Member of the New Jersey State Bar Association and New York State Bar Association’s Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Associations
- Founding member of the Professional Athlete Franchise Initiative (PAFI)
- Citation editor and contributing author of the New York State Bar Association Entertainment, Arts & Sports Law Journal