Steve serves as co-chair of the firm’s Public Utilities Practice Group. He concentrates his practice in public utility law, with a particular emphasis on energy regulatory matters. Since 1996, Steve has played a lead role in literally all matters of consequence convened by the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities, including the restructuring of the State’s electric and natural gas industries from a monopoly to a competitive model, utility rate cases, utility merger proceedings, energy infrastructure issues, regulatory proceedings, and the formulation and implementation of the State’s energy policies. In these proceedings, Steve has represented the interests of, among others, large commercial and industrial establishments, independent power producers, energy service companies, renewable energy companies, and marketers of electricity and natural gas.
Steve founded and represents the New Jersey Large Energy Users Coalition, which is comprised of some of the State’s largest industrial and commercial businesses, including pharmaceutical companies and major manufacturers. Steve also founded and represents the New Jersey Combined Heat & Power/Distributed Generation Coalition, which is comprised of cogeneration and fuel cell developers, engineering firms, financial institutions and manufacturers. Steve also represents one of the world’s largest energy service companies in the development of public and private energy efficiency and combined heat and power projects. He also represents independent power producers and an independent transmission company in connection with the development of power plant and transmission infrastructure projects. Steve has also been involved in the development of a number of solar and alternative energy projects, including waste to energy cogeneration projects, on behalf of diverse clients. Steve represents the interests of these and other clients before the Board of Public Utilities, New Jersey Legislature, the Governor’s Office and the Department of Environmental Protection.
Steve is actively involved in the development and implementation of the State’s energy policies. He served as energy advisor to the Christie gubernatorial campaign and transition team. He recently served as Chair of the Administration’s Energy Master Plan Task Force on Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, whose purpose was to formulate policy regarding the future funding, administration and implementation of the State’s renewable energy and energy efficiency programs, which are a cornerstone of Governor Christie’s energy policies. Please click here for the full report. Steve also recently authored or assisted the Legislature in the development of several energy bills, fostering the development of cogeneration and district energy facilities and implementation of energy efficiency projects, that were signed into law.
Steve is also a registered Governmental Affairs Agent (lobbyist) in New Jersey on behalf of a variety of clients that conduct business in or with the State. His governmental affairs practice focuses primarily on energy-related matters and government procurement issues. Steve has been involved with significant procurements by the State, including energy-related procurements, the formation of public-private partnerships, and the privatization of the State’s automobile inspection system.
Steve served as lead litigation counsel in connection with several utility merger proceedings, including the Exelon Corporation/Public Service Electric and Gas Company, First Energy/Jersey Central Power and Light Company and NUI/AGL Resources mergers.
Before Fox Rothschild
Steve served a seven year tenure as Special Counsel to the Board of Public Utilities and Department of Environmental Protection and Energy. He was also legal counsel to then-BPU President Christine Todd Whitman, former Governor of New Jersey. Steve served as law clerk to the Honorable David B. Follender, J.S.C., of the Superior Court.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Steve co-authored the book Inside the Minds of Energy Lawyers, Winning Energy Law Strategies, which provides a broad yet comprehensive overview of the practice of energy law, discussing the current and future state of energy regulation, from founding doctrines to the pivotal cases of today.
Steve is also a frequent speaker regarding energy-related topics for business and professional organizations.
Honors & Awards
- Included on the list Best Lawyers in America, Energy Law category (2001-2018)
- Named to “The List: 10 Movers and Shakers Who Influence Energy Policy in New Jersey” by NJ Spotlight (2015)
- Included on a list of Top Rated Lawyers by Legal Leaders (2013)
- Named to New Jersey’s "Top Legal Minds" by Inside Jersey (August 2012)
- Named among the "Top Lawyers" by Corporate Counsel (2008)
- Named among the "Top Ten Lawyers/Lobbyists" in New Jersey by New Jersey Law Journal
- Included on a list of New Jersey "Top Lawyers" by New Jersey Monthly
- Included on the list of "New Jersey's Best Lawyers" in the area of Energy Law (2011)
- Included on the list of "New York Area's Best Lawyers" by New York Magazine
- Named in "Who's Who in American Law"
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" rated
- Recognized as "Alumnus of the Month" in the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law Alumni E-Newsletter, Issue XV (September 11, 2009)
- Recipient, 2009 President’s Award in recognition of his dedication and service to the NJ Chapter of National Association of Industrial and Office Parks (NAIOP) as a founding member of its Energy Master Plan Task Force