By its very nature, technology involves both the thrilling opportunity of innovation and the challenging element of risk. Among the key components of an enterprise’s success are licensing transactions, strategic alliances and joint ventures. These initiatives can ensure the health and continued vibrancy of your technology. Our Technology and E-Commerce group provides the spectrum of licensing services, including:
- Drafting, negotiating and handling all aspects of agreements for licensing and development, customer interface, vendors and other commercialization documents.
- Advising on complex joint ventures, strategic alliances and outsourcing and licensing transactions.
- Licensing and enforcing copyrights domestically and internationally.
Product Commercialization and Marketing
This aspect of our practice addresses the realities of how a business actually takes a product from inception to end-market. Our experience in this area includes:
- Designing creative ways to navigate the different paths companies use to take a product, service or technology to market – and help them profit as a result.
- With careful consideration of a client’s industry, point in the business cycle and personal and financial situation, we strategize and brainstorm on commercialization processes, market-entry ideas, IP protection and every “take it to market” step in between.
- Guiding a company through the technology commercialization process from protection to licensing, selling or developing partnerships to establishing distribution channels.
Our Technology attorneys understand that a company’s intellectual property – especially for businesses involving ground-breaking scientific, engineering or other high tech products or services – is its lifeblood. That’s why so many technology sector entities rely on Fox for legal services focused on building, protecting and leveraging intellectual property. With a nationwide team of IP attorneys ranked among the top patent firms by IP Today – a team that includes more than 40 registered patent attorneys and agents and many with advanced degrees in specific technical disciplines as well as extensive business experience in life sciences and related industries – Fox provides diverse perspectives and informed strategies for the development and management of intellectual property assets.
We have particular experience assisting early stage technology companies as they build their intellectual property assets. We help clients analyze their IP portfolio to assess its suitability for meeting the company’s financial metrics and business plan. Fox offers clients the spectrum of IP services, including:
- Patent prosecution, due diligence, counseling and opinions regarding patent invalidity and non-infringement.
- Transactional matters, including portfolio assessment and the management and development of company brands.
- Due diligence reviews in connection with transactions in which IP rights are involved and conduct due diligence investigations during technology-related transactions to identify and define the scope of the relevant intangible asset.
- Copyright, trade secret and brand protection.
- Rights management and technology transfer.
- Litigation, when necessary.
Mergers and Acquisitions
M&A is central to the growth, expansion and establishment of technology companies. Such deals also can provide an exit strategy for companies and their leaders. Fox has a track record of seeing M&A deals through to successful closure, serving targets, investment bankers, leverage buyout groups, equity investors, lenders and financial advisers. We oversee major acquisitions and divestitures for hundreds of tech companies of all sizes. Clients look to Fox for:
- Attorneys who explain complex legal concepts in terms clients understand and base decisions on responsive representation and practical advice at every stage of the deal process.
- Strategic, measured identification of possible M&A scenarios, while attending to each client’s individual circumstances.
- Attorneys who are mindful of our clients’ “big picture” goals: growing, leveraging assets and maximizing economic benefits.
Internet, Privacy Laws and E-Commerce
Advice grounded in a deep understanding of current Internet and privacy laws and regulations governing the gathering and use of personal information.
- Developing and managing website privacy policies, terms and conditions aimed at reducing liability.
- Auditing websites to ensure compliance with U.S. consumer protection laws, privacy regulations and other applicable requirements and certifications.
- Negotiating contracts to safeguard a company’s proprietary information and PII in a manner that complies with state and federal laws.
- Data security plan assessment and development.
- Data breach responses and notifications.
- Privacy issue management under Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and other federal and state legislation.