Tom counsels corporate clients in the design, implementation and administration of retirement and welfare benefit plans. He also assists employers with M&A-related benefit plan integration, improving employee communications, meeting fiduciary obligations and avoiding liability for plan administrators, investment committees, trustees and boards of directors. He also addresses issues related to deceased employees and their beneficiaries.
- Assisted with the merger and integration of qualified profit sharing and pension plans covering more than 15,000 participants following the acquisition of one plan sponsor by another.
- Helped one client prepare for a major U.S. Department of Labor audit and assisted another in responding to an IRS proposal for sanctions following an audit.
- Implemented systems for reviewing and making determinations with respect to qualified domestic relations orders for numerous clients.
- Counseled several clients on ways to reduce liability risk by improving investment practices and employee communications.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, Tom was of counsel at Oppenheimer Wolff & Donnelly LLP.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Tom is a volunteer attorney for the Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services and a former member of its Board of Directors. He also serves as a lecturer for Minnesota Continuing Legal Education and is the former co-editor of Drafting Wills and Trusts in Minnesota.
Honors & Awards
- Recipient, Public Interest Service Award, Minnesota Justice Foundation
- Named among the Best Lawyers in America (2017)
- Named a “Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyers Magazine