Bill has more than 35 years of experience serving as lead counsel in intellectual property matters for both U.S. and international companies on cases under the U.S. Lanham Act, including trademark infringement and false advertising. He has also represented clients in complex patent and copyright infringement cases.
In addition to his intellectual property litigation work, Bill regularly provides counsel on all aspects of trademarks and copyrights, including cases before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, trademark clearance and protection of copyrighted works.
- Defended Pandora Jewelry LLC’s intellectual property rights, including patents, trademarks and copyrights, during and after its successful launch of its Pandora jewelry in the United States.
- Helped establish the licensing program for the famous Dartmouth College name and mark, and has advised the college in trademark and copyright matters since 1980.
- Cargill, Inc. v. Sears Petroleum & Transportation Inc.: Successfully obtained a jury verdict of validity and infringement for Sears Petroleum in a five-week patent infringement case for a patent involving chemical compositions used to de-ice roads.
- American Italian Pasta Company v. New World Pasta: Served as lead counsel, successfully arguing before the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals that “America’s Favorite Pasta,” was mere puffery.
- Purebred Company v. H.J. Heinz, et al.: Served as lead intellectual property counsel in a three-week jury trial representing the defendants against claims of trademark infringement, unfair competition and false advertising.
- Ermenegildo Zegna Corporation v. Lanificio Mario Zegna: This international dispute over the name and mark ZEGNA started in 1984 and involved cases in the U.S. District Court, Court of Appeals and International Arbitration before the matter settled favorably in 2004.
- Sears PLC v. Sears Roebuck and Co.: Represented Sears Roebuck and Co. in an international dispute over the use and registration name and mark Sears against Sears PLC, the parent company of a U.K. department store and specialty store retailer.
- Merck & Co., Inc. v. Vioxx Corporation: Served as lead counsel for Merck in settled case involving the pharmaceutical trademark Vioxx.
- Weight Watchers, Inc. v. Stouffers Lean Cuisine: Served as lead counsel for Weight Watchers in a two-week bench trial involving trademark infringement and false advertising issues known as the “Diet Food War.”
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, Bill was a partner and executive committee member at a national law firm. Bill was also previously a partner at Nims, Howes, Collison, Hansen, a highly respected law firm that has been involved in much of the case law that provides the framework of today’s trademark law.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Bill is a regular speaker and has lectured internationally to the Pharmaceutical Trademarks Group, British Institute of Trademark Attorneys and University of Copenhagen School of Law. He has also assisted in the organization of annual meetings of the International Trademark Association.
Honors & Awards
- Named as one of the leading intellectual property attorneys in New York by Chambers USA (2012, 2013)
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers (2007-2011)
- Selected among the world’s top trademark attorneys by Euromoney International Investor
- Recognized in the Guide to the World’s Leading Trademark Law Practitioners (2008, 2012)
- Named as one of the “World’s Leading Trademark Law Practitioners” by Managing Intellectual Property magazine