With nearly three decades of experience in bankruptcy law, Yann has served a variety of clients and interests in bankruptcies, out-of-court restructurings and assignments for the benefit of creditors. He currently serves as co-chair of the firm’s Financial Restructuring & Bankruptcy Department and previously served as a member of the Executive Committee, the firm’s governing body, for eight years until rotating off.
Since 1993, Yann has served with distinction as a member of the Panel of Bankruptcy Trustees for the Southern District of New York (Manhattan). He has represented a number of panel and non-panel trustees in New York and other jurisdictions, as well as handled and supervised countless litigation matters in the bankruptcy, district and state courts, from standard recovery actions to complex fraud.
Yann has a robust trustee practice with significant experience in complex wind-downs and liquidations, and in the investigation and recovery of estate claims, including against prior management. He has served as a trustee in Manhattan in thousands of bankruptcy cases, several of which involved asset values of many millions.
With a strong track record as trustee and counsel for trustees, Yann has served as:
- Chapter 7 trustee of Thelen LLP, a national law firm, in which he directed all features of the law firm wind-down, and was able to resolve the vast majority of claims against partners and successor firms without litigation.
- General counsel, along with a highly skilled litigation team, to the Chapter 7 trustee of Jeffrey J. Prosser, in which they recovered many millions of dollars from assets and litigation of claims, successfully objected to the debtor’s discharge, obtained sanctions of nearly $1 million against the debtor and his spouse for destruction of estate property and obtained a fraudulent conveyance judgment by jury trial against the debtor’s spouse for more than $14 million.
- Chapter 11 trustee of Dallek, Inc., and confirmed a plan of liquidation that paid creditors 100 percent of their claims plus interest.
- Chapter 7 trustee of Pali Capital Corp. and Pali Holdings Inc., a former broker-dealer, and successfully prosecuted claims against the debtor’s former officers and directors which resulted in a multimillion-dollar recovery for the benefit of these estates.
- Chapter 7 trustee of Third Toro, Inc. (which operated as H&H Bagel) and successfully sold the debtor’s building in Manhattan for $11 million.
Yann is also renowned for his experience as counsel to debtors and other parties in Chapter 11 proceedings. Most recently, he confirmed a Chapter 11 plan in three related cases that resulted in a confirmed plan reorganizing approximately $18 million in secured and partially-secured debt. Yann has also served as counsel to a creditors’ committee under a confirmed plan and as counsel to numerous creditors in Chapter 11 proceedings, from landlords to secured creditors, to plan funders. Additionally, he has successfully represented countless defendants in avoidance actions.
Joining Fox Rothschild has allowed Yann, when appropriate, to assemble a broad team of highly qualified and experienced attorneys within the firm, at competitive rates. With the resources of the firm behind him, Yann has achieved significant results in complex litigations, including multimillion-dollar recoveries from prior management and efficient resolution of complex multi-party litigations.
Yann is a member of the court-approved Register of Mediators for the U.S. Bankruptcy Courts, Eastern and Southern Districts of New York.
Before Fox Rothschild
Yann was previously associated with Salomon Green & Ostrow, P.C., a bankruptcy boutique firm in New York City. In 1992, he started his own practice, Geron & Associates, which grew significantly until it merged with Fox Rothschild in 2005.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Yann was appointed as a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Trustee in the Southern District of New York in 1992. He has served as a trustee in Manhattan in thousands of bankruptcy cases, with asset values of as much as several million dollars. In this capacity, Yann has also handled and supervised countless litigation matters in the bankruptcy district and state courts, from standard recovery actions to complex fraud. Yann has also served as a court-approved Assignee for the Benefit of Creditors in a complex corporate shut-down and liquidation.
Yann currently serves on the board of directors of HEAF, a non-profit education and youth development organization that helps public school students from Harlem and the surrounding communities succeed in school, career and life.
Collier Bankruptcy Practice Guide
Yann serves in an ongoing role as a contributing author to the “Collier Bankruptcy Practice Guide,” a guidebook combining legal analysis with practical procedural and strategic advice.
Click here for more information or to purchase the guidebook.
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" rated
- Included in the list of "Super Lawyers" for Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights (2012-2016)
- Included in “Super Lawyers Business Edition” in the area of Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights (2013, 2014)