Zev represents and advises employers in a variety of industries on various aspects of labor and employment law. His practice focuses on defending businesses and companies in employment litigation matters and wage and hour class and collective actions. In addition to his litigation practice, he regularly counsels employers on their workplace policies, drafts employment agreements, and practices for compliance with federal, state and local employment laws.
He is experienced in all phases of claims – from inception to verdict – involving allegations of unlawful discrimination, harassment and retaliation, wrongful terminations, breaches of contract and employment agreements (including restrictive covenants and non-compete agreements), and wage and hour violations.
Zev has extensive trial experience, having served as lead trial counsel in several federal jury trials involving employment law issues and has secured more than 20 defense wins as lead trial counsel in jury trials. He has represented clients before federal courts, state courts and a myriad of administrative agencies throughout New York State.
His recent experience includes:
- Representing large companies in single-plaintiff as well as class-action discrimination and retaliation claims in federal court;
- Representing restaurants in class and collective action matters involving claims of alleged minimum wage/overtime violations and improper retention of gratuities;
- Drafting employment and restrictive covenant agreements as well as litigating unfair competition cases in New York State Supreme Court;
- Representing companies being investigated by the Department of Labor for alleged worker misclassification claims and improper use of independent contractors;
- Conducting internal company audits relating to exemption status and payroll practices;
- Drafting and revising workplace policies and practices in employee handbooks
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, Zev served as Assistant Corporation Counsel at the New York City Law Department, where he was most recently senior counsel in the Department’s Labor and Employment Law Division and previously served as assistant corporation counsel in the Department’s Tort Division. In those roles, he represented the city, its agencies and employees in a variety of matters, including all types of labor and employment law issues, false arrest, malicious prosecution, excessive force, negligent supervision, premises liability, general negligence, automobile cases and special duty cases. During his tenure there, he also taught CLE courses on “Depositions: A Trial Perspective” and “New York Evidence for New Trial Lawyers” and earned an award in 2011 for handling a police misconduct trial and was honored with the 2010 Division Chief Award for securing seven jury trial successes in a row.
Prior to his practice of law, Zev was a speechwriter in the Office of the Ambassador to the United States for the Embassy of Israel, where he crafted speeches and talking points for the ambassador and other Israeli government officials.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Previously accredited before the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Zev has done pro bono work for the Veterans Assistant Project at the City Bar Justice Center. He assisted veterans of all branches of the military in appealing denial of service-connected benefits, applying for new benefits and gathering evidence in support of their claims.
Zev also works pro bono for various nonprofit organizations, including the Organization for the Resolution of Agunot (ORA), where he represents and advises abused women in mediation and arbitration proceedings involving divorce, custody, child and spousal support issues.