Al has 40 years’ experience in health law, representing health care providers, including physicians, medical group practices, hospitals and health care systems, ambulatory surgery centers and diagnostic imaging facilities, in corporate and transactional matters.
He provides a wide range of services to providers including counsel on the choice and formation of an entity; overseeing the purchase and sale of health care facilities and physician practices; design and drafting of employment and shareholders’ agreements, partnership agreements and limited liability operating agreements; structuring of mergers; and general corporate services. Al also assists hospitals and physicians in the creation of ambulatory surgery center joint ventures.
Al has extensive experience representing physicians on a wide range of matters with a focus on the formation of large, single-specialty and multispecialty medical groups. He has overseen the formation of several large single specialty groups in various locations. In addition, Al provides his physician clients guidance on the business of medicine, including technical aspects of billing and reimbursement; the sale, reacquisition and re-establishment of private practices; corporate governance; business planning; and retaining and recruiting associates.
Al also has experience in representing the owners of funeral homes in mergers and acquisitions. He regularly advises closely held and family-controlled businesses, providing guidance through the succession planning process.
Al's leadership roles within the firm include former co-chair of the Health Law Group, former member of the firm’s Executive Committee and former trustee of the firm's retirement plan.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Al is very active in the community and serves on the board of the following organizations:
- Lancaster County Medical Foundation, a non-profit charitable organization, organized to improve the health and medical care of the residents of Lancaster County, PA.
- Saint John Vianney Center, a nonprofit, faith-based provider of behavioral health programs for Catholic priests, consecrated religious and clergy from major Christian dominations.
- La Salle University President’s Advisory Council
Al is also very active in his parish, Saint Elizabeth Roman Catholic Church, in Upper Uwchlan Township, Pennsylvania. He is a member of the parish finance council and the Parish School Advisory Council.
Honors & Awards
- Selected as a "2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Healthcare" by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell™ (2013)
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV® Preeminent™" rated highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards