Allen has extensive experience in business restructuring and insolvency matters. He advises debtors, creditors, purchasers, lenders and other parties in interest in Chapter 11 reorganizations, Chapter 7 liquidations and out-of-court workouts.
A substantial part of Allen’s practice is the representation of court-appointed fiduciaries such as bankruptcy trustees and federal and state court receivers as well as assignees in out-of-court liquidations.
Allen recognizes that the most efficient and cost-effective way to resolve disputes in financially distressed situations is often through out-of-court negotiation. When that is not practical, he pursues his clients’ interests through insolvency proceedings and litigation. His experience includes the development of workout strategies for debtors and creditors; distressed asset sales; development and implementation plans of reorganization; and litigation of contested matters in state and federal courts and on appeal before the Seventh Circuit.
Allen has served clients in a wide variety of industries, including health care, construction, lending, equipment leasing, manufacturing, real estate, retailing, jewelry, and trucking.
His experience includes representation of:
- Westside Community Hospital, Inc. (Sacred Heart Hospital), and its affiliates Garfield Kidney Center, LLC and Superior Home Health, LLC, in their Chapter 11 cases
- 319-321 Jefferson, LLC, an owner of mixed-use buildings with residential, office and retail space, in its Chapter 11 reorganization
- JSII, LLC and its affiliates, the developer of Bridgeport Village in Chicago, in their Chapter 11 cases;
- Bachrach Clothing, Inc., a national clothing retailer, in its Chapter 11 and successful going concern sale of its business
- Appliance Controls Group, Inc., a national manufacturer of combustion related components for the gas cooking appliance industry, it is chapter 11 and sale of its assets
Allen has also represented Chapter 7 trustees in several cases throughout the country including Nanovation Technologies, Inc. (Illinois), McCook Metals, LLC (Illinois), Jore Corporation (Montana) and Mego Financial Corp. (Nevada).
A frequent lecturer on bankruptcy-related topics, Allen’s recent speaking engagements include:
- Chicago Bar Association Bankruptcy and Reorganization Committee; Primer on Federal Equity Receiverships (February 2016).
- Annual United States Trustee Seminar (Panelist on Healthcare Issues in chapter 7 cases, April 2016).
- The Hon. Robert E. Ginsberg Annual Program on Commercial Bankruptcy Law Presents : Current Cases and Trends; Caveat Emptor: Successor Liability and Other Issues Affecting Sales under Section 363 (November 2016)
Before Fox Rothschild
Allen was a member of Shaw Fishman Glantz & Towbin LLC, which merged with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
In 2016, Allen was appointed Vice-Chair of the Chicago Bar Association’s Bankruptcy and Reorganization Committee. He is also a former member of Bankruptcy Court Liaison Committee for the Northern District of Illinois. Allen is also an active member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and the American Bar Association.
He is currently the Treasurer and a member of the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors of Credit Abuse Resistance Education (CARE), a national financial literacy program for young adults taught by bankruptcy and financial professionals that focuses on the responsible use of credit and student loans.
Honors & Awards
- Named an "Illinois Super Lawyer" by Law & Politics magazine