Named as one of the leading labor and employment attorneys in Pennsylvania by Chambers USA, Buzz’s practice spans both labor and employment and public utilities. His broad employment practice encompasses:
- union avoidance
- contract negotiation
- labor arbitration
- employment discrimination
- employment litigation
- restrictive covenants
- employee benefits
- wage and hour law
Buzz strives to find practical employment solutions for a range of national clients in industries that include:
- transportation, including local and regional carriers in state regulatory proceedings and day-to-day business operations
Buzz represents a variety of clients in industries ranging from health care, education, electronics, manufacturing, public utilities, transportation and agriculture. Recent matters he has successfully resolved include:
- Designing and implementing reduction-in-force for a transportation company with operations in several southern states, without any adverse claims being filed.
- Managing frequent workforce downsizing and expansion for a specialty chemical company that sells products and manages use of the product at customer sites, primarily in the eastern half of the United States, corresponding to recent changes in the auto industry.
- Structuring the hiring of key employees to avoid conflict with restrictive employment agreements from their prior employers.
- Negotiating labor agreements with a health care employees’ union, including wholesale changes to health care coverage, through a combination of HRAs and FSAs.
- Negotiating labor agreements with a union representing hospital workers that resulted in significant tightening of attendance policies and a conversion from the traditional vacation, holiday and personal day model to a PTO system.
- Resolving--for less than 20 percent of the claimed amount--wage and hour litigation for a group of mid-level employees involving more than five different theories of liability.
In the energy and utilities sector, Buzz has experience:
- representing a major steam and power-producing utility, competing with larger electric and natural gas providers
- representing real estate developers, convincing traditional utilities to extend service to new projects in a timely and affordable manner
- designing ownership and operating models to avoid protracted regulatory proceedings
- ensuring that large utility consumers receive proper service at correct rates
His roles within the firm include:
- former co-chair, Labor and Employment Group
- former member, Executive Committee
- former chair, Personnel Committee
Before Fox Rothschild
Buzz has served as:
- Chief Counsel, Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission
- Deputy Attorney General, Pennsylvania Department of Justice
- law clerk, the Hon. Herbert S. Levin of the Court of Common Pleas of Philadelphia County
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Buzz serves on the Advisory Committee to the Albert Strickler Memorial Fund of the Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia. He was formerly a board member of the Southeastern Pennsylvania Chapter of the Society for Human Resource Management.
Honors & Awards
- Named as one of the leading labor & employment attorneys in Pennsylvania, Chambers USA (2010-2019)
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" rated
- Named among the "Corporate Counsel Super Lawyers" in the area of Labor & Employment (2009 and 2010)
- Named a "Super Lawyer" by Philadelphia Magazine and Law & Politics Magazine (2006 through 2009)
- Named to “The Best Lawyers in America - Lawyers of the Year” list for Energy Law (2019)
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Energy Law in Pennsylvania by Best Lawyers (2013-2020)