Brad litigates and tries commercial disputes. Trained as a journalist, he focuses on "learning a client's story" and using it to answer the practical questions judges, jurors and arbitrators have about an industry or business practice which is most often new to them.
Brad's work on business litigations and complex contract disputes regularly brings him before the North Carolina Business Court. In product liability settings he focuses on product defect, design and manufacturing issues, as well as pharmaceutical products, services and medical device claims. He works regularly on municipal consideration of land use and zoning matters, including many aspects of solar energy development, and has extensive experience with direct appeals to Superior Court of local government decisions. Brad also regularly works on issues related to the Driver's Privacy Protection Act (DPPA), and its interaction with state public records laws. He also handles complex civil matters for municipal clients, as well as multi-party environmental cases, including CERCLA cost recovery issues for waste generators and alleged arranger/disposer transactions.
Brad has served as national, regional and local counsel in multi-jurisdiction, multi-plaintiff litigations, and been responsible for coordinating discovery, trial preparation, and alternative dispute resolution mechanisms in hundreds of cases. He is also certified by the North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission as a Superior Court mediator.
Before Fox Rothschild
Brad was a partner at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Brad is actively involved in the United Way of North Carolina, and has served in multiple leadership roles within the organization, including chair and vice chair of its board of directors. He also served as vice chair of the board of directors of NC 2-1-1, the free, confidential 24-hour information and referral service provided by the United Way of North Carolina.
It's Just Business Blog
Brad contributes to this blog, which provides analyses of North Carolina Business Court decisions. The goal of this blog is to arm businesses with the information they need to adjust their legal strategies as the case law evolves.
Honors & Awards
- Selected by his peers as Raleigh Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year (Woodward/White, Inc.), Real Estate (2014)
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Product Liability Litigation (2013-2020), Land Use and Zoning Litigation (2014-2020) and Land Use and Zoning Law (2019, 2020) in North Carolina by Best Lawyers
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, listed General Litigation (2014-2019)
- Benchmark Litigation, North Carolina Litigation Star (2016-2020)
- Selected by Triangle Business Leader Magazine as a Top 50 Entrepreneur 2012
- Rated AV Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®