Bruce has a dynamic practice that focuses on eminent domain, construction and real estate litigation, as well as representation of municipalities and other public entities on their unique legal needs.
He also provides counsel on dispute prevention and resolution in all facets of real property law and represents a range of clients on leasing disputes and other real property matters.
- Obtained $4.6 million for an individual property owner in a condemnation dispute with the NCDOT (initial offer was $0).
- Obtained more than $1.5 million from the NCDOT for 112 townhome owners affected by a major highway project (initial offer was $0).
- Obtained $1.35 million from the NCDOT for damages to an apartment complex caused by a major highway project (initial offer was $250,000).
- Obtained $1.25 million from the NCDOT for damages to an assisted living facility damaged by a road widening (initial offer was $125,000).
- Represent several national and regional REITs in apartment complex litigations.
- Represent large North Carolina municipalities in litigation and consulting matters.
- Represent owners, developers and contractors in construction arbitration and litigation.
Before Fox Rothschild
Bruce was a partner at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, a large Southeast firm where he spent the first 32 years of his career before combining with Fox Rothschild in November 2018.
While attending the University of North Carolina for his undergraduate degree, Bruce was a pitcher on the 1982 ACC champion baseball team.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Bruce has been a member of the Executive Committee for Congressman Mark Walker (NC - 6th District) since 2015. He is also Vice President of City Help of the Triad, which serves as a clearinghouse for community activities by churches in the Triad region of North Carolina.
Honors & Awards
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Construction Litigation (2009-2013)
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Construction Law (2009-2019, 2021) and Litigation-Construction (2013-2021) in North Carolina by Best Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell's top (AV) Peer Review Rating
- Business North Carolina's Legal Elite, Construction Law (2008, 2009, 2014-2016), Real Estate Law (2011)
- Recipient, Governor's Award for Outstanding Volunteer Service
- ACC Academic Honor Roll