Bruce is an intellectual property attorney whose practice centers on information technology issues. He has been recognized year after year as a leading lawyer in Chambers USA, Best Lawyers of America and Washington Super Lawyers.
Bruce prepares and negotiates complex contracts covering software as a service, cloud computing, outsourcing, technology development and licensing, information technology, enterprise services and the manufacture, distribution and marketing of various products. He also develops brand strategies and registers trademarks.
Bruce has also worked in Tokyo and Honolulu, and is conversant in Japanese. He supplements his extensive experience as outside counsel with his prior hands-on experience as in-house counsel.
Bruce prepares and negotiates agreements for:
- Software as a service (SAAS), cloud computing and hosted service providers
- Development, distribution, and licensing of software, computer games and other technology
- Game developers, publishers, VARs, distributors, online stores, big box retailers and end users
- Health care industry software and services
- Book publishing
- Video and film production and celebrity endorsement
- Manufacture, distribution and sale of industrial and consumer products
- Outsourcing of services covering IT departments, call centers, product support and logistics services
- Confidentiality and nondisclosure agreements and trade secret licenses
- Joint promotion and co-marketing
- Licenses and assignments for trademarks, copyrights and patents
Bruce also has experience in:
- Privacy policies and HIPAA compliance documents, such as business associate agreements
- Strategic counseling on branding and package design issues (including the filing of hundreds of trademark applications with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office)
- Counseling on copyright issues, including the registration of copyrights
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, Bruce was a principal at Riddell Williams. He also spent several years working at law firms in Honolulu and Tokyo.
While in law school, he served on the IRLJ (now the Berkeley Journal of Employment and Labor Law).
Bruce also studied at the Keio University Center for Japanese Language Studies in Tokyo.
Honors & Awards
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America” list for Trademark and Copyright Law in Washington by Best Lawyers (2011-2020)
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Intellectual Property - Washington (2019, 2020)
- Named to “Seattle’s Top Lawyers” by Seattle magazine
- Named a "Top Business Lawyer" in Seattle by Seattle Business Monthly
- Named among the “Top 40” IP Lawyers in Seattle
- Named a "Washington Super Lawyer" by Thomson Reuters (2003-2019)
- Rated AV Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®