Bryan is a seasoned litigator. He is zealous, yet pragmatic and understands that a “win” for a client comes in different forms and strives to secure that “win.”
Bryan represents businesses, closely held entities, and individuals in a wide variety of cases including complex commercial matters, real estate disputes, insurance bad faith litigation, and creditors’ rights actions.
Bryan has a track record of success before judges and juries and tailors his case strategy to fit his clients’ goals and the nature of the dispute. His results include securing early dismissals on motions, a defense verdict after a jury trial and negotiating favorable settlements after narrowing the issues through aggressive discovery tactics and motions practice.
Bryan’s clients include:
- Banks and receivers
- Landlords and tenants
- Music copyright holders
- Real estate brokerages
- Residential homebuilders
- Property owners
- Software firms
- Telecommunications companies
Bryan also has a particular fluency in handling bankruptcy and state court receivership matters pertaining to failed commercial and real estate development loans.
- Helped win a $21.2 million award in a multi-day arbitration for three beer distributors against another distributor arising from Pabst’s termination of their rights to distribute Pabst-owned beer brands.
- Represented commercial landlord in six figure multi-party construction lien foreclosure, breach of lease, eviction, and breach of personal guaranty action—substantially reduced amount of construction lien at early show cause hearing, evicted tenant and terminated lease, and forced lease guarantor to pay construction lien in full as well as landlord’s attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Represented bond insurer in securities fraud action against state college arising from college’s $25 million bond default—case settled favorably with multiple pending summary judgment motions.
- Obtained complete defense verdict on behalf of Fortune 100 insurance company after two week jury trial involving claims of bad faith and violation of the Consumer Protect Act and Insurance Fair Conduct Act arising from UIM bodily injury claim.
- Defended life insurance company in action by insureds to reform a seven figure “second-to-die” life insurance policy into a traditional term life policy after one insured was diagnosed with cancer—settled matter shortly before trial for a very small percentage of death benefit sought.
Real Estate Litigation
- Obtained successful settlement for national bank in lien priority/stripping and professional negligence bankruptcy adversary proceeding against another national bank and escrow/closing company.
- Validated Puget Sound Energy’s utility easement rights in an action brought by adjacent property owners to invalidate those easement rights in a formerly used railroad corridor that had been “railbanked” under Rails-to-Trails Act.
- Represented international bank in multiple receiverships, bankruptcies, state court actions, and lender liability claims related to troubled loans and REO properties following bank’s purchase of a failed northwest bank’s assets from FDIC.
- Represented international software company as creditor in Chapter 11 and 7 bankruptcies and preference adversary proceedings.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, Bryan was a principal at Riddell Williams.
While in law school, he worked in the Bankruptcy Clinic helping clients file Chapter 7 bankruptcy petitions. He also served as a bankruptcy research assistant for Professor Rafael Pardo.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Bryan volunteers at Ryther as a Best Buddy mentoring children coming from traumatic pasts and broken homes.
Bryan is active in numerous community and professional organizations, including the Washington Policy Center, the Federalist Society, the American Bankruptcy Institute and the Washington Defense Trial Lawyers Association.
He is also a volunteer youth golf coach with The First Tee of Greater Seattle.
Honors & Awards
- Named a "Washington Rising Star" by Super Lawyers (2015-2020)
- American Bankruptcy Institute Medal of Excellence (2009)