Fox Rothschild's Cannabis Litigation team has vast experience advising and representing highly regulated businesses within the constantly evolving matrix of federal, state and local compliance laws.
We represent both public and privately held cannabis companies and industry investors in bet-the-company litigation, governmental proceedings and appeals. Our crosscutting capabilities also support cannabis industry clients in investor and shareholder disputes, securities litigation, corporate mismanagement claims, patent, trademark and copyright litigation, zoning challenges and licensing disputes.
Select Cannabis Litigation Experience
Fox attorneys have represented:
- A public cannabis company and its wholly owned subsidiary in a multimillion-dollar dispute alleging breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty in Chicago, Illinois.
- A public cannabis company in licensing challenges pending in Pennsylvania administrative and state courts.
- Numerous multi-state cannabis operators in national FOIA/RTKL cases as both prosecution and defense relating to cannabis license proprietary and confidential information and disclosures of unredacted cannabis applications.
- A medical cannabis organization in challenging Utah’s licensing practices. A three-member panel reversed the decision of the Department of Agriculture.
- A member-manager of a Nevada medical marijuana dispensary in a multi-million dollar shareholder dispute pending in Chicago, Illinois.
- Medical marijuana dispensaries in zoning challenges before zoning boards of appeals and Pennsylvania courts of common pleas.
- A medical marijuana dispensary in a license revocation petition administrative hearing pending in Pennsylvania.
- Various cannabis industry defendants in connection with a trademark infringement action in the Northern District of California.
- A Washington State retail cannabis dispensary in a contract and conversion dispute with its electronics payment processor over missing funds.
- An Illinois-based client in challenging an illegal municipal sales taxes on medical cannabis.
- Clients in shareholder disputes over equity interests of a cannabis business.
- Cannabis license applicant's challenge to a Southern California municipality's denial of an adult-use license.
- Defending cannabis CBD manufacturer against state prosecutor claims of false and misleading advertising.
- Defended clients in California and Pennsylvania as to breach of contract claims for processing cannabis plant materials.