Carl has an insider’s knowledge of the insurance industry, with more than 40 years of experience in its business, financial, and legal aspects. Former Chair of the firm’s Corporate Insurance Department and Insurance Practice Group, he focuses his practice on:
- demutualizations and conversions
- public and private transactions
- formation of companies
- holding companies
- due diligence investigations
- shareholder matters and stockholder meetings
- preparation of general commercial contracts
- business insurance
- reinsurance/excess lines
- reinsurance arbitrations
- onshore and offshore captives
- regulatory compliance
- restructuring and fidelity
- surety and bond issues
- corporate governance
Carl’s clients include insurance companies, insureds, and corporations in the U.S., Canada, Europe, and offshore, including Bermuda, the Caymans, Barbados, and the London market.
Carl’s recent matters include:
- Representing Healthcare Providers Insurance Exchange (HPIX), a top-10 insurer of physician commercial medical professional liability in the Mid-Atlantic area, in an agreement to sell the rights, title, interests in and policies of the company to Medical Mutual Insurance Company of North Carolina.
Knowledgeable about health care reform, Carl also frequently helps clients sort through myriad issues and changes stemming from the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010.
Before Fox Rothschild
Carl was Chair of the Corporate Insurance Group at Buchanan Ingersoll. For 10 years prior to his private practice, he was a senior executive officer of the Harleysville Insurance Company, a large property casualty mutual insurance concern.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Carl serves on the Board of Directors of numerous insurance and insurance-related companies. He is a frequent lecturer in the U.S., Europe, and Bermuda and regularly publishes articles in various legal publications.
Webinar: Dodd-Frank Fallout: What's in Store for the Investment Management Industry?
In this webinar, attorneys in Fox Rothschild's Securities Industry Group explore and explain how Dodd-Frank will affect investment advisers, hedge funds, money market funds, mutual funds, broker-dealers and other investment management industry participants.
• Download the Presentation (PowerPoint File)
Honors & Awards
- Recipient of the Arthur B. Walsh, Jr. Pro Bono Publico Award from the Bucks County Bar Association (2020)
- Received the Joan Fullam Irick Award from The International Association of Defense Counsel (2017)
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell LexisNexis
- Named a "Super Lawyer" by Philadelphia Magazine and Law & Politics Magazine (multiple years commencing in 2004)
- Burton Award for Legal Achievement, recognizing excellence in legal writing (2001)