Casey is a seasoned problem solver with a broad range of family law, commercial, probate and employment litigation experience.
A significant part of Casey’s practice is the representation of clients in family law disputes involving matrimonial issues such as divorce, custody, domestic violence, premarital agreements and support, and related appeals. With his extensive background in commercial litigation, Casey is particularly well-suited to handle complex divorces involving substantial assets or complicated financial issues.
Casey also continues to represent businesses and individuals in a variety of commercial disputes. He has represented businesses and individuals at trial, on appeal and in arbitration in complex cases involving commercial contract disputes, breach of confidence, insurance coverage, technology implementation, real estate and securities brokerage matters, tortious interference, specific performance complaints and other issues.
Working closely with clients, Casey approaches litigation strategically as a means for solving disagreements. He provides smart, efficient representation that ensures clients understand their options, including the costs and benefits, before choosing a course of action. An effective negotiator when a settlement is advantageous, Casey is a tenacious advocate at trial when that is a client’s best option.
- Representation of individuals in all types of family law matters, including negotiating and drafting premarital agreements, divorce litigation regarding enforceability of premarital agreements, characterization and division of assets, valuation of assets, child support and spousal support, child custody, enforcement of judgments and modification of child support and spousal support.
- Represented major homebuilders in breach of contract disputes with landowners involving the purchase and sale of real estate, at trial and on appeal to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented an asset manager for the founders of a major technology company in a dispute involving numerous competing contract and tort claims. The case was tried in a lengthy arbitration proceeding that included 60 hearing days, and resulted in an award for the client of $25 million, including $18 million in punitive damages, which was subsequently upheld by the Federal District Court and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal.
- Represented Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America in a Lanham Act false association claim, securing a preliminary injunction, an order freezing the defendant’s assets and court order involving jury instructions related to evidence destruction that led to a favorable settlement. The work subsequently led to a federal prosecution of the defendant, who pled guilty and served time in federal prison.
- Represented fuel cell industry client in a tortious interference and antitrust case in which a three-member arbitration panel awarded the client more than $50 million in damages.
- Represented national clothing manufacturer in case involving faulty implementation of enterprise software.
Before Fox Rothschild
Casey was a partner at Apex Family Law, which merged with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Honors & Awards
- Named a Northern California "Super Lawyer" by Super Lawyers Magazine (2019)