Chris's real estate practice combines a deep background in facilitating complex development projects with significant experience in business and finance strategy.
He has guided and negotiated public and private development deals that span a variety of industries and include large-scale commercial, manufacturing and residential endeavors. Clients frequently rely on Chris to navigate the environmental, leasing, permitting, land use and various transactional issues that define their project's success. When disputes arise between developers and municipal or environmental authorities, he also manages mediation and litigation.
Drawing from his experience as an executive leader for two national home-building companies, Chris provides strategic insights on the regulatory, business and marketing issues that face expansive land-development initiatives.
A sampling of Chris's experience in assisting developers, energy-sector businesses, homebuilders, investors and others includes:
- A 5,800-acre master planned community approved for over 30,000 residential units along with retail and commercial properties. The project included its own specific zoning plan that was drafted with the support of government officials.
- City of Las Vegas with regard to multiple federal lands matters
- Various clients with respect to NEPA, CEQA and California Costal Commission strategy and permitting for residential and commercial development
- A large 80,000-acre natural resource project in Arizona (the Arizona Project) for all legal aspects surrounding the permitting, land acquisition, leasing and joint ventures.
- A proposed large-scale professional sports stadium and arena project, which was to include millions of square feet of adjacent retail, commercial and housing
- Mining and natural resources investment arm of a large international insurance company with respect to various joint ventures
Transactional and Regulatory
- National and international homebuilders in all aspects of real estate transactions, including multiple complex joint venture agreements
- Startup companies in all legal aspects, including corporate structure, litigation and governmental approvals with businesses ranging from home building, roofing, apartment development, management and ownership, land development, and oil and gas acquisition and development
- The "Salt River Project" in Arizona, which included extensive transactional documentation and also obtaining the Bureau of Indian Affairs approval, as well as litigation
- Signage and media company in several joint ventures with casino operators and others for extensive interactive signage along the Las Vegas strip, San Diego, Denver and Phoenix
- Negotiated a $500 million joint venture between a U.S. solar company and a large Spanish construction and energy company
- A large public company in its acquisition (by capital lease) of a distribution center in the Inland Empire in excess of 1.2 million square feet
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, Chris was a partner in the real estate practice of a Western regional law firm.
Honors & Awards
Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Land Use and Zoning Law in California by Best Lawyers (2021)