Chris is a patent attorney and intellectual property litigator who helps clients manage, protect and enforce their intellectual property rights. He represents clients from small businesses to international corporations in all stages of litigation, commercial transactions and licensing.
Chris is the administrative chair of the firm’s IP litigation practice group. Chris has represented clients in more than 150 federal IP litigations across the country, including more than 80 patent infringement litigations as lead and local counsel. He counsels clients in risk mitigation and avoidance, licensing, due diligence, and other commercial transactions. Chris also assists clients in developing their intellectual property portfolios through patent prosecution and trademark registration.
Representative Trial Experience
- Defended online content aggregator against claims of copyright infringement, defeating approximately half of the asserted infringement claims and limiting damages to “nuisance” value after four-day jury trial in Southern District of Florida (2019).
- Defended national car donation charity against trademark infringement claims and prevailed on counterclaim of infringement after two-week jury trial in District of New Jersey (May 2019).
- Represented designer shoe company as respondent in ITC action filed by Converse alleging trade dress infringement of its Chuck Taylor All Star sneaker design, and after weeklong trial resulted in initial determination in favor of Converse, successfully petitioned the Commission to reverse the ruling of the ALJ (2015).
- Represented Norwegian distributor of skincare and nutritional products in breach of contract and unfair competition case against U.S. distributor and obtained judgment of $6.4M after two-week jury trial in Eastern District of New York (2015). Judgment affirmed by Second Circuit.
- Defended pharmaceutical company against patent infringement (non-ANDA) and unfair competition claims and defeated preliminary injunction after three-day hearing in District of New Jersey (2013).
- Represented power plant emissions equipment company in defense of breach of contract action and counterclaims for breach of contract and unjust enrichment, and obtained $12M judgment on counterclaims after two-week jury trial in Western District of Pennsylvania (2010).
- Served as local counsel in District of New Jersey for several ANDA bench trials.
Overall IP Litigation Experience
- Jury and bench trials in patent, trademark, trade dress and breach of contract cases
- First-chair experience in medical device, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, mechanical, chemical, and electrical patent infringement cases
- Obtaining temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions in intellectual property infringement and false advertising matters
- Defeating preliminary injunctions in patent, trademark, trade dress and copyright infringement matters
- Litigating intellectual property infringement claims before the International Trade Commission (ITC)
- Defending Federal Trade Commission (FTC) investigations
- Defeating claims by non-practicing entities (“patent trolls”), including invalidating asserted patents
- Protecting trademark rights in opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB)
- Arbitrating international patent and contract disputes
- Negotiating favorable settlements and business deals to avoid costly litigation
Prosecution and Transactional Experience
- Utility and design patents in the biotechnology, medical device, pharmaceutical and mechanical arts
- Strategic patent and trademark portfolio management
- Brand development and protection
- Opinions regarding freedom to operate, infringement/non-infringement, validity/invalidity, enforceability/unenforceability for patents and trademarks
- License agreements and commercial contracts, including development agreements, work-for-hire agreements, distribution agreements, non-compete agreements and confidentiality agreements
- Due diligence investigation and analysis
Before Fox Rothschild
Chris began his career at Fox Rothschild as a patent agent during his third year of law school. Prior to joining Fox, and also during law school, Chris worked as a patent agent for a biotechnology and medical device company that designed, manufactured and marketed microarrays for immunoassay and genotyping applications. Chris also interned at the New Jersey Superior Court, Passaic Vicinage.
Podcast — America Invents Act: Micro Entity Status for Institutions of Higher Education
The Leahy-Smith America Invents Act (AIA) created a new class of patent applicants designated as “micro entities” who are entitled to a 75 percent reduction in certain fees paid to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. In this podcast, Fox Rothschild Partner Janet MacLeod and Chris discuss the criteria for qualifying as micro entities under either of two groups defined by the AIA.
Honors & Awards
- Included in the list of “New Leaders of the Bar ” by the New Jersey Law Journal (2018)*
- Selected to the list of "Super Lawyers - Rising Stars" in New Jersey for Intellectual Property Litigation (2013-2020)*
- Senior Articles Editor, Legislative Journal, Seton Hall University School of Law