Award-winning journalist turned skilled trial lawyer, Colleen represents individuals and corporations in complex civil litigation cases, labor and employment matters, and media law. Drawing upon her extensive background as an investigative reporter, Colleen also conducts investigations into allegations of workplace misconduct, including discrimination, sexual harassment, retaliation and other sensitive topics. Experienced and knowledgeable, Colleen is particularly qualified to provide her business and media clients with a full range of pre- and post-litigation strategic solutions.
Colleen has successfully litigated jury and bench trials in Nevada’s Eighth Judicial District Court, argued high-profile appellate matters before the Nevada Supreme Court, and engaged in extensive motion practice in all Nevada courts, as well as multiple federal District Court and Circuit Court jurisdictions. Recent matters that Colleen has successfully handled for her clients include:
- Investigating complaints and developing action plans for a global retail company seeking to address concerns of workplace discrimination;
- Obtaining a six-figure settlement for a management client in a case involving matters of first impression in Nevada employment law;
- Representing a public records watchdog group in multiple jurisdictions and securing finality of a favorable decision from the Nevada Supreme Court;
- Defending an aviation company in a federal lawsuit involving trademark and unfair competition violations and successfully striking the opposing party’s expert witness.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, Colleen enjoyed a successful career in broadcast journalism, including as a member of the award-winning I-Team at the Las Vegas CBS affiliate, KLAS-TV. Her investigations helped expose public corruption and prompt change at the national, state and local levels. Her work on “Desert Underwater,” a comprehensive examination of the housing crisis in Clark County, was honored with the broadcast equivalent of the Pulitzer Prize, the duPont-Columbia Award, as well as the prestigious Peabody Award for Broadcast Excellence.
A recognized authority on media, defamation and public records law, Colleen routinely counsels national and local news organizations. Colleen has provided commentary on these and other topics as a guest contributor for numerous media outlets. Highlights of her publications and legal writing awards include:
- “Public Records, Private Devices: The Nevada Public Records Act Enters the Digital Age,” Nevada Lawyer Magazine (2018)
- “I’m in Handcuffs; How Can It Be Civil Contempt?” Nevada Lawyer Magazine (2018)
- “Breaking News: An Examination of Fair Use in the News Reporting Context,” Nevada Law Journal, Scholarly Writing Competition Award (2013)
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars, General Litigation, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America® list, Media Law (2019, 2021) and Commercial Litigation (2021) in Nevada
- Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada Pro Bono Project 100 Hours Award, 2014-2015
- Nevada Broadcasters Association Hall of Fame Inductee, 2014
- duPont-Columbia Award for Excellence in Journalism
- Peabody Award for Broadcast Excellence
- Society of Professional Journalists Sigma Delta Chi Award
- Emmy Award, Documentary