Courtney counsels clients on complex environmental and commercial litigation matters throughout the country. Courtney’s clients rely on her strategic counsel with issues arising in connection with environmental, health and safety laws, regulations, programs and policies, including:
- Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA)
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
- Clean Water Act
- Toxic Substances Control Act
- Coastal Zone Act
- Delaware Hazardous Sites Cleanup Act
- Brownfields redevelopment projects
- New Jersey Spill Compensation and Control Act
- Pennsylvania Clean Streams Act
Courtney's experience also includes:
- Successfully defending a CERCLA action
- Obtaining environmental permits and approvals
- Advising parties in acquisitions and real estate transactions, including counseling on environmental, due diligence, land use and title issues
- Litigating environmental disputes and enforcement actions in state and federal courts
- Representing Delaware corporations in a wide range of complex litigation
- Conducting real estate settlements
- Helping clients navigate financial restructuring and bankruptcy
Before Fox Rothschild
Courtney previously served as a summer associate at Fox Rothschild, drafting motions, pleadings, letters and memoranda as well as conducting legal research in a variety of practice areas, including litigation, real estate, corporate and bankruptcy.
She also worked as an emergency manager for nearly a decade, where she provided technical advice in broad areas of emergency management planning, formulated and analyzed policies in accordance with state and federal regulations, provided directions and management on planning activities on a statewide basis, drafted contracts, developed procurement strategies and planned for statewide communications interoperability.
While in law school, Courtney was a judicial extern in the Delaware Court of Common Pleas. She also was a member of the Delaware Journal of Corporate Law.
Prior to law school, she was a communications supervisor for the Wilmington Police Department, a volunteer firefighter/EMT and an educator for a multinational banking and financial services corporation.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Courtney is a member of the American Bar Association’s Disaster Legal Services Team, which works with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to provide immediate temporary legal assistance to disaster survivors at no charge.
Honors & Awards
- Recipient of the American College of Bankruptcy Distinguished Law Student for the Third Circuit (2015)