Erik has a dynamic civil litigation practice that includes general tort and insurance coverage matters, complex commercial and antitrust litigation, employment covenants and trade secrets, securities litigation and products liability. He has substantial experience with issues arising in the transportation, restaurant and sports industries. He regularly litigates cases before federal and state courts in North Carolina and other states.
His work also extend to news organizations in multiple media law cases, as well as the defense of individuals and corporations in a variety of white collar criminal matters.
In the transportation sector, Erik has represented trucking companies in catastrophic accident/injury cases and has experience defending motor vehicle manufacturers from various tort and warranty claims. He has also defended national restaurant chains in matters ranging from alleged food contamination and inadequate security to premises liability.
In the sports industry, Erik's representations include the Atlantic Coast Conference; professional football, baseball and soccer teams; the local organizers of Greensboro's PGA TOUR golf tournament; a national amateur sports organization; and multiple other sports organizations, insurers and a water park.
Before Fox Rothschild
Erik was a Partner at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Honors & Awards
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, General Litigation (2006-2019)
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Commercial Litigation (2012-2021), Personal Injury Litigation (2011-2021), Sports Law (2018, 2020-2021) in North Carolina by Best Lawyers
- Business North Carolina's Legal Elite, Litigation (2010, 2011, 2013-2016)
- Benchmark Litigation, North Carolina Litigation Star (2013-2020)
- Sports Business Journal’s Power Players: Sports Lawyers and Outside Counsel (2016)
- Martindale-Hubbell's (AV) Peer Review Rating