Dave’s dynamic practice assists with the multifaceted interactions between commercial real estate, land development and local government. His representations span a range of private and public sector clients.
Dave is well-versed in real estate finance, zoning & land use, industrial incentives, local government representation and related complex contract negotiations. His two decades of experience in land development, including six years on the economic development team of the Greater Durham Chamber of Commerce, gives him insight into the unique and complex interplay between governmental institutions and private property owners.
Before Fox Rothschild
Dave was a partner at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
- Buyer’s counsel to publicly traded homebuilders in connection with land acquisition, entitlement, and development of single-family and townhome communities throughout the Carolinas.
- Lender's counsel to private equity lenders in short-timeline, high stakes transactions throughout North Carolina.
- Buyer’s counsel to a Raleigh-based office investor in numerous transactions in Wake and Durham counties.
- City attorney to the Town of Rolesville, the fastest growing municipality in the State of North Carolina.
- Engagements by both developers and tenants involving dozens of utility-scale solar farms throughout North Carolina and Virginia.
- Buyer’s counsel in a multi-phased, land acquisition for redevelopment of a North Carolina municipality’s central business district.
- Borrower's counsel to nonprofit and governmental institutions including a recent $26,000,000 mortgage-secured bond refinancing.
Honors & Awards
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Real Estate Law (2018-2021) and Land Use and Zoning Law (2019, 2021) in North Carolina by Best Lawyers
- LEED-Accredited Professional with Building Design & Construction Specialty (LEED AP BD+C)
- Business North Carolina's Legal Elite, Real Estate (2013)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition, Real Estate (2009-2011, 2013, 2014)
- Business Leader Magazine's "Movers & Shakers" (2010)