Dave's practice focuses on commercial real estate, finance and land development. His representations span a range of industry clients, and his recent experience includes:
- Buyer’s counsel in a multi-phased, land acquisition for redevelopment of a North Carolina municipality’s central business district;
- Lender's counsel to private equity lenders in short-timeline, high stakes closings throughout North Carolina;
- Borrower's counsel to nonprofit and governmental institutions including a recent $26,000,000 mortgage-secured bond refinancing; and
- Developer's counsel in various commercial and residential matters before local governments including a new 1,500-acre championship golf course community in the Sandhills of North Carolina.
Dave is well-versed in legal principles related to real estate finance, industrial incentives and related complex contract negotiations. His two decades of experience in land development, including six years on the economic development team of the Greater Durham Chamber of Commerce, gives him insight into the unique and complex interplay between governmental institutions and private property owners.
Before Fox Rothschild
Dave was a partner at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Honors & Awards
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Real Estate Law (2018-2020) and Land Use and Zoning Law (2019, 2020) in North Carolina by Best Lawyers
- LEED-Accredited Professional with Building Design & Construction Specialty (LEED AP BD+C)
- Business North Carolina's Legal Elite, Real Estate (2013)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition, Real Estate (2009-2011, 2013, 2014)
- Business Leader Magazine's "Movers & Shakers" (2010), awarded to executives in leadership positions making a difference in their companies and the community
- North Carolina Lawyers Weekly, "Emerging Legal Leaders" Finalist, 2010