David works with companies that are financially distressed or involved in financial or bankruptcy litigation in cases filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois and throughout the country.
- Distressed companies in all stages of financial distress, including creditor negotiations, loan workouts, foreclosures, evictions, assignments, and Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 bankruptcy liquidations and reorganizations.
- Creditors of all types, including trade creditors and secured lenders, to protect their collateral and collect and maximize their recovery in foreclosures, evictions, and bankruptcy cases.
- Trustees in Chapter 7 cases as general bankruptcy counsel or special litigation counsel.
His clients also include middle-market debtors in possession, receivers and asset purchasers, as well as secured lenders and receivers in commercial foreclosure and eviction proceedings.
David handles a wide range of issues including:
- Intellectual Property in Bankruptcy: David helps companies and universities navigate the tricky waters of intellectual property in bankruptcy and protect their interests in patents, trademarks and copyrights.
- Preferences and Fraudulent Transfers: David defends individuals and companies in fraudulent transfer and preference actions brought by bankruptcy trustees.
- Dischargeability and Objection to Discharge: David advises creditors on their ability to prevent a debtor’s discharge in bankruptcy and frequently represents creditors in related lawsuits.
Before Fox Rothschild
David was an associate at Shaw Fishman Glantz & Towbin LLC, which merged with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
He previously clerked for Judge Carol A. Doyle (no relation) of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
David is currently serving a two-year term on the Bankruptcy Court Liaison Committee for the Northern District of Illinois. The committee consists of 16 attorneys, the Chief Judge of the Bankruptcy Court and three other sitting bankruptcy judges, along with two representatives of the Office of the Clerk of the Bankruptcy Court. The purpose of the committee is to promote communications about court procedures, etiquette, filings, and other issues; to assist the court and attorneys in creating a more efficient environment; and to represent a diverse group of bankruptcy attorneys from the Chicago area.
David is also an active member of the Chicago Bar Association, the Turnaround Management Association and the American Bankruptcy Institute.
Honors & Awards
- Selected as an Illinois "Rising Star" for Bankruptcy by Super Lawyers (2020)