Kent has more than 35 years of experience in general business representation, with a focus on merger and acquisition transactions.
In the course of his practice, Kent has seen the transition of the regional economy from tobacco, textiles and furniture, to healthcare, logistics and technology/education. His concentration has evolved along with this transformation. In addition to his transactional work, Kent has developed long-standing relationships with clients whom he counsels on a day-to-day basis on a broad spectrum of business needs, including capital formation, corporate governance, distribution and licensing arrangements, federal and state securities law compliance, intellectual property matters, advertising issues, sales and trade regulation matters.
Kent's merger and acquisition experience includes representing both buyers and sellers in fields such as health care, textiles, apparel, manufacturing and pharmaceuticals.
- Represented companies in mergers and acquisitions totaling over $2 billion
- Numerous mergers, acquisitions and change in control transactions of tax-exempt hospitals
- Numerous healthcare acquisitions and transactions including anti-trust compliance
- Numerous acquisitions and sales of medical testing laboratory networks
- Numerous acquisitions, sales, mergers and divestitures of textile manufacturing companies and subsidiaries Sale of a number of companies in the rubber products industry
- Sale of a number of companies in the rubber products industry
- Purchase of specialty chemical division of public company by international chemical conglomerate
- Sale of national building maintenance company in industry roll-up
- Sale of national cable television installation contractor in first stage of industry roll-up
- Acquisition of assets of furniture manufacturer by leading public company in ready-to-assemble furniture industry
- Acquisition of regional trucking firm
- Sale of emergency vehicle manufacturer in industry roll-up
- Adjunct Professor of Business Planning at the University of North Carolina School of Law.
Before Fox Rothschild
Kent was a partner at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Kent is an Adjunct Professor at the UNC School of Law, where he teaches Business Planning.
Honors & Awards
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Listed Business/Corporate (2006-2019)
- Selected to Super Lawyers Business Edition list, Business/Corporate (2013-2015)
- Selected by his peers as Greensboro Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year (Woodward/White, Inc.), Securities Regulation (2014), Corporate Law (2018)
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Corporate Law, Securities/Capital Markets Law, Securities Regulation, Tax Law in North Carolina by Best Lawyers, listed for more than 20 years
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Corporate/M&A - North Carolina (2010-2020)
- Martindale-Hubbell's top (AV) Peer Review Rating
- Business North Carolina's Legal Elite, Business Law (2003-2010, 2012-2017)