Ely Goldin is a partner in the firm’s Litigation Department and is the regional practice liaison for Russia in the firm’s International Practice Group. A native Russian speaker, Ely serves the business and litigation needs of the Russian immigrant community as well as companies in Russia and other CIS nations.
As a litigator, Ely has extensive experience in complex commercial litigation with a particular emphasis on prosecuting and defending commercial fraud claims. He has tried hundreds of civil and criminal cases before judges and juries in multiple jurisdictions. As a business lawyer, Ely advises clients on a variety of legal matters affecting American companies doing business in Russia and Russian clients with business interests in the United States.
Russian Litigation Experience
- Represent a prominent Russian industrial concern in a federal securities fraud claim asserted against a large U.S. investment bank stemming from the liquidation of a $1 billion investment.
- Defended American concerns in a $60 million lawsuit brought by a major Russian bank in the Delaware Court of Chancery.
- Defending a $17 million claim brought by one of Russia’s largest banks against a U.S. national in multiple jurisdictions.
- Represented a Russian metallurgical distributor in a $121 million commercial fraud claim against a publicly traded Asian smelter.
- Represented a Russian liquor distributor in a dispute with a publicly traded U.S. company over the termination of foreign licensing rights.
- Represented a Russian company in litigation over ownership rights to a Danish oil storage terminal. Coordinated complex multi-jurisdictional litigation simultaneously filed in Delaware, Finland, Denmark and Russia, which ultimately confirmed client’s ownership interests and allowed client to consummate a significant business transaction.
- Defended multimillion-dollar fraudulent transfer and preference action asserted by Bankruptcy Trustee.
- Represented Russian distributor of specialty chemical products in a commercial fraud claim against a leading Asian chemical conglomerate.
- Brought a commercial fraud claim on behalf of a Ukrainian company against its U.S. business partners for embezzlement and misappropriation of partnership assets.
- Represented a Russian-owned shipping company in a commercial fraud and RICO claim against a maritime common carrier that was alleged to have wrongfully seized cargo worth millions of dollars.
- Represented a Russian-owned software company in a copyright infringement lawsuit against Howard Stern Productions, Inc.
- Successfully registered and enforced Russian arbitral award in U.S. Courts under the New York Convention.
- Represented Russian titanium manufacturer in a commercial fraud claim against U.S. defendants over stolen titanium ingots.
- Represented a Russian national in a civil case alleging embezzlement of $10 million from one of Russia’s largest companies.
- Represented a Russian national in a federal court action filed to obtain U.S. discovery in aid of foreign legal proceedings pending in the Russian courts. Secured right to obtain economic information about foreign litigant from U.S. sources that was then used by client to achieve a favorable outcome in Russia.
- Defended Russian-owned electroplating company in a multimillion-dollar products liability action alleging that company’s system caused an industrial fire.
- Represented Russian victims in a high-profile lawsuit against U.S. defendants alleging commercial sexual exploitation of Russian children.
- Defended a Russian-owned software company against breach of fiduciary duty and trade secret claims asserted by company’s former business partner. Secured favorable settlement that allowed company to exploit its technology for a nominal licensing fee paid to the former partner.
- Successfully defended a Russian-owned mortgage company in a multimillion-dollar Telephone Consumer Protection Act action brought by major wireless telecommunications carrier.
- Represented a Russian health care provider in a U.S. Medicare audit alleging improper billing and massive overpayments. Secured complete victory for client which resulted in administrative dismissal of all claims at the ALJ level.
Representative Russian Business Experience
- Represented Russian-owned producer of “kefir,” a specialty dairy product, in acquisition by publicly traded company.
- Represented U.S. distributor of commercial electrical systems in the sale of the company’s first franchise opportunity in the Ukraine.
- Advised a major Russian-Swiss real estate conglomerate in labor and employment matters pertaining to its U.S.-based subsidiaries.
- Assisted U.S.-based software company in establishing representative office in Belarus.
- Advised high-net worth Ukrainian client on corporate structure and estate planning issues.
- Represented Russian-owned online furniture manufacturer in a “squeeze-out” merger expelling unproductive shareholder.
- Represented Russian national in acquisition of an important and previously unknown work of art by a prominent Russian painter.
Other Significant Experience
- Appointed as a special master in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan in litigation over ownership rights to a shipment of Russian stable Isotopes valued at $40 million.
- Engaged by publicly traded homebuilder in connection with a HUD investigation involving allegations of deceptive real estate sales practices perpetrated by and against at members of Russian immigrant community.
- Served as an expert witness for a Russian-owned metallurgical company that brought major lender liability against an American bank for improperly declaring a loan default and closing the company’s bank accounts.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining the firm, Ely co-founded Grayson & Goldin, P.C., a litigation boutique concentrating on insurance insolvency, regulatory matters and complex commercial litigation. Ely also worked for the U.S. office of a Russian law firm focusing on commercial fraud, shareholder litigation and maritime law.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Ely is a father of three who lives and works in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. He is a member of Reform Congregation Keneseth Israel in Elkins Park, PA. He enjoys reading, baseball and fencing.
Honors & Awards
- Named as a leading attorney in the U.S. and Russia by Chambers Global (2012-2014, 2016-2017)
- "AV" rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Selected as one of 50 "Lawyers on the Fast Track" by The Legal Intelligencer (2002)