Emily, who serves as the firm's Los Angeles Office Managing Partner, counsels small to mid-sized businesses in a variety of industries including technology, consumer products, manufacturing, food and beverage, construction and professional services industries on a variety of complex transactional matters. She handles business formation, planning and restructuring and works with startups on strategy and early-stage funding as well as with existing companies on growth and acquisition financing. Emily also handles mergers, acquisitions and other general commercial transactions and provides advice on corporate governance matters. She serves as outside general counsel to a number of clients, advising on day-to-day legal matters.
Additionally, Emily advises venture and angel capital investors on due diligence, negotiation of investment documents and other matters.
- Represented a seller of a software company in a stock sale.
- Represented a solar dish startup on corporate matters, including structuring and negotiating seed financing and distribution agreements.
- Counsel a social media app startup on various corporate matters, including negotiating shareholders agreements and employee stock grants.
- Counsel a social media game app company on various corporate matters, including structuring and negotiating seed financing and sponsorship agreements.
- Represented a currency exchange company in its Series A financing, including advising on and drafting documents and agreements.
- Counsel a family owned holding company and its portfolio companies, including a Korean barbeque restaurant chain, in a variety of matters.
- Serve as outside general counsel to an electronic parts manufacturing company on a variety of matters.
- Serve as outside general counsel to a designer and seller of manufactured homes on a variety of matters.
- Serve as pro bono counsel to Lupus LA, an organization dedicated to lupus research, awareness, education and serving the needs of people with lupus and their families in Los Angeles County, on a variety of matters.
Before Fox Rothschild
Emily’s commitment to helping her clients achieve business success stems from her first-hand understanding of the daily interplay between law and business. Prior to launching her legal career, Emily co-founded and served as lead teacher of an inner city Montessori school in Boston and as the executive director of a nonprofit early childhood education center in Massachusetts.
Emily also worked an instructor at University of Pennsylvania, where she taught undergraduate English and completed coursework toward a Ph.D. in English.
During law school at USC School of Law, Emily was a research assistant for Dean Karen Lash, where she researched and analyzed the practical and legal implications of methods for providing legal services to low-income clients in California. She also served as an articles editor and staff member of the Southern California Law Review. After graduating law school, Emily worked as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable George H. King of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Emily is past president of the Los Angeles Venture Association (LAVA). In 2011, she founded Women in LAVA, a strategic interest group focused on the specific needs of women entrepreneurs who are seeking seed or venture financing.
Additionally, Emily has served as an adjunct professor at University of Southern California Law School, teaching a course on contract drafting and negotiation.
Emily is a former co-editor of Emerging Companies Insider, a Fox blog that focuses on developments in the law affecting startup and emerging growth companies and their investors. Topics covered in the blog include choice of entity, shareholders’ agreements, issuance of equity to employees, preparing for and executing a capital raise, exit strategies and the JOBS Act and its impact on how companies can and should raise capital from investors.
Honors & Awards
- Named a California Trailblazer by The Recorder (2019)
- Named among the Los Angeles Business Journal's "Most Influential Women Lawyers" (2019)
- Named among Women of Influence by L.A. Biz. (2017)
- Los Angeles Business Journal’s Women Making a Difference Award Nominee (2015)