The ABC’s of the ADAAA
The amendments to the ADA and the new EEOC implementing regulations have dramatically changed the playing field for all HR professionals by requiring that the protections of the law apply to a much broader portion of the workforce.
Some of these changes include:
- The expansion of the list of protected major life activities
- The creation of lists of impairments that will "virtually always" be deemed disabilities
- A change in the evaluation of consideration of mitigating measures
- A change in consideration of periodic and episodic conditions
The EEOC projects that between 2 million and 6.1 million additional employees will make requests for additional accommodation over the next 5 years as a result of the changes with considerable new costs to employers. As a result, the proper analysis and handling of requests for accommodation by HR staff will be critical to minimize cost and legal liability.
By the end of this program you will gain:
- A working background to the changes to the law made by the amendments to the ADA and the new EEOC regulations
- The ability to better assess who will be considered disabled as the result of these changes
- A practical understanding of the heightened obligations in the handling of accommodation requests through the interactive process