Licensing and Regulatory
Represented MGM Resorts International as regulatory counsel in its purchase of the Empire City Casino, a 97-acre property in New York with a racetrack and video lottery facility, for approximately $850 million.
Represented Hard Rock Café International USA, Inc. in obtaining its gaming license to open the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Atlantic City in the property formerly known as Trump Taj Mahal.
- Represented Canada-based online gaming powerhouse Amaya Inc. before the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement and successfully obtained approval for Amaya to offer its PokerStars and Full Tilt brands throughout state, along with other offerings by Amaya.
- Represented Amaya Inc. in a $4.9 billion all-cash acquisition of the Oldford Group Limited, owner and operator of PokerStars and Full Tilt Poker. The recent transaction resulted in Amaya becoming the world’s largest publicly traded online gaming company and created a global platform for the company’s growth in the U.S. market.
- Represented Ireland-based Paddy Power as New Jersey regulatory counsel in its recent multibillion-dollar merger with UK-based Betfair to create Paddy Power Betfair PLC, the world’s largest public online betting and gaming company.
- Represented playing card industry giant The United States Playing Company (USPC) with critical regulatory approvals in its sale to Cartamundi
- Represented Empire Resorts, Inc. as regulatory counsel for the issuance of a gaming facility license to the proposed $1.2 billion Montreign Resort Casino in New York, one of only three casino projects issued gaming facility licenses that year by the New York State Gaming Commission.
- Represented MGM Resorts International as Maryland regulatory counsel for the financing of MGM National Harbor, LLC, a new casino destination in Prince George's County, Maryland. This project was valued at $1.3 billion.
- Represented Cummins Allison Corp., a prominent manufacturer of currency and coin handling systems, in its sale to national industrial products manufacturer Crane Co.
- Represented two different Committees of Bondholders in obtaining control of casino companies in Atlantic City. Subsequently selected to represent the new owners of these casinos for gaming regulatory matters.
- Successfully represented the first applicant for a “boutique” casino license in New Jersey.
- Represented the first sovereign wealth fund that applied for licensing in New Jersey.
- Represented seven of the first slot machine manufacturers, three of the first suppliers and one of the first operators licensed in Pennsylvania. Handled the first regulatory complaint filed in Pennsylvania.
- Represent an investment fund seeking to obtain the first full scale casino license in Jamaica and have been involved in the drafting of legislation and regulations.
- Drafted updated regulations for U.S. Virgin Islands Casino Control Commission.
- Represent the largest video gaming operator in Illinois.
- Represent several different private equity and hedge funds on licensing matters in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Missouri, Iowa and elsewhere.
- Served as gaming regulatory and New Jersey counsel to MGM Resorts International (MGM) in a series of complex transactions involving the Borgata Casino & Spa. MGM purchased the remaining 50 percent ownership stake from Boyd Gaming for $900 million, making it sole owner of the property. MGM then sold the real estate assets to MGM Growth Properties LLC, its newly created real estate investment trust, for nearly $1.18 billion. A subsidiary of MGM then leased back the Borgata from MGM Growth Properties LLC and operates the resort.
- Authored compliance plans and conducted extensive due diligence investigations for gaming companies in multiple jurisdictions around the world.
- Obtained casino and liquor licenses for Atlantic City restaurants Wolfgang Puck, House of Blues, Hard Rock Cafe and PF Chang’s China Bistro.
- Assisted foreign gaming equipment manufacturers complete and file license applications in multiple jurisdictions throughout the world.
- Obtained licenses and gaming equipment approvals for several of the world’s largest slot machine and equipment manufacturers in multiple jurisdictions.
- Actively involved in Internet gaming and legalization efforts in the United States.
- Defend licensees in administrative discipline cases against various regulatory authorities.
- Obtained all development and environmental approvals for the $200 million expansion of the Borgata Hotel, Casino & Spa in Atlantic City.
- Represented Harrah's Entertainment & Casino Hotel in the recent expansion of a 560-room tower and commercial development.
- Represented Showboat Casino Hotel in the expansion of a 500-room tower.
- Handled the $31 million sale of a casino hotel, spa and golf course in Nevada for a publicly traded seller, with water rights and golf course lease issues.
- Served as environmental counsel to a large international gaming company redeveloping a former shipyard into a casino and harness track.
- Purchased an 800-room casino hotel and spa in Mesquite, Nevada, and 18-hole golf course in Mohave County, Arizona, including private well and water rights, residential development rights and timeshare interests; $80 million combined bank financing for all client affiliates.
- Handled a multiparty development agreement among clients, State of Louisiana and Parish Government, for exchange of land to allow development of private parking facilities by relocating public park and developing new/relocated state police facility; negotiation of all design and construction agreements.
- Negotiated restaurant and wagering facility leases for a Pennsylvania racetrack and casino licensee.
- Handled a real property tax appeal as trial counsel involving a challenge to the assessed value of an assemblage of properties obtained for the construction of hotel/casino Pinnacle Entertainment, Inc.