The former head of the criminal division of the Minnesota Attorney General’s Office and Fox’s Minnesota Office Administrator for the Litigation Department, Gary brings invaluable experience and insight to his representation of individuals and corporations facing civil and criminal investigations. He is both a litigator and a trial attorney, equally well-equipped to prepare a case for settlement or to try the case if settlement is neither possible nor advisable.
Gary devotes a considerable portion of his practice to complex litigation matters involving antitrust, tax, contract law, class actions and multiparty litigation. He has been appointed by state and federal courts to serve as a receiver, often in conjunction with complex fraud or criminal litigation. He is also an arbitrator and mediator for the American Arbitration Association.
- Obtained a trial and appellate victory for a regional power cooperative in a False Claims Act suit related to a $300 million contract.
- Successfully resolved federal False Claims Act investigations involving a major health insurer and a pharmacy benefits manager.
- Obtained dismissal of multiple consumer fraud class actions in a variety of states asserting manufacturing defects against window and other manufacturers.
- Obtained summary judgment of price-fixing allegations against a pharmaceutical manufacturer in an action filed in California.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, Gary was a partner at Oppenheimer Wolff & Donnelly LLP. Gary also served as president of two law firms: Stolpestad Brown & Smith, P.A. and Doherty, Rumble & Butler, P.A.
Honors & Awards
- Named a “Minnesota Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyers Magazine (2003-2006, 2010-2019)
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Antitrust Litigation in Minnesota by Best Lawyers (2015-2021)
- Named in Best Lawyers, Minneapolis Litigation Antitrust “Lawyer of the Year” (2014-2015)
- Recipient, Pro Bono Publico Private Sector Award, Hennepin County Bar Association (2008)