Jerry has been engaged in the practice of labor and employment law for more than three decades, with a strong emphasis on proactive counseling to assist employers in avoiding litigation and solving labor-related problems.
He has been recognized by Chambers USA and Business North Carolina magazine’s Legal Elite. In 2003, Jerry was the top vote recipient in North Carolina in the Legal Elite Labor & Employment category, placing him in the Legal Elite “Hall of Fame." He has also received an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell for 36 consecutive years.
He counsels and represents employers in all aspects of employment law, including litigation before state and federal courts and agencies.
He is experienced in responding to the full range of employment issues, including:
- Americans With Disabilities Act
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Personnel practices
- Safety matters under OSHA
- Title VII
- Wage and hour
- Wrongful discharge
Jerry has represented private and public sector employers throughout the United States in union avoidance campaigns under both the National Labor Relations Act and the Railway Labor Act. He has extensive experience in representation disputes and has assisted in decertifying unions under these Acts. He has also represented employers in collective bargaining negotiations and arbitration matters, in court and before the National Labor Relations Board and the National Mediation Board.
He is experienced in representing clients with unionized workforce and takes a proactive approach in assisting companies in managing to the contract to maintain control, protect management rights, and promote stability in the company/union relationship.
In representing clients under the Railway Labor Act, Jerry has assisted some of the largest employers in both the railway and airline industries. In National Mediation Board matters, he has assisted carriers in major disputes. He has also practiced before area Boards of Adjustment.
Jerry has vast experience in management counseling for health care providers, as well as covenants not to compete and senior leadership counseling of hospitals, substance abuse providers and physician practices. He has defended union campaigns in health care workplaces, and has provided counsel on alleged behavior and harassment claims against independent physicians on a medical staff.
Before Fox Rothschild
Jerry was a partner at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Previously, while employed with the N.C. Attorney General's Office, Jerry was counsel to the N.C. Ports Authority and represented the N.C. Department of Administration in property as well as in purchase and contract matters.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Jerry serves on the Grievance Committee for the North Carolina Tenth Judicial District.
He is also President of the Board of Directors of NC Beautiful, an organization that has been part of the state’s environmental preservation community for more than 40 years, supporting awareness, education and beautification efforts that affect the quality of life of NC citizens.
Honors & Awards
- Named to the "Labor & Employment Stars" list in North Carolina by Benchmark Litigation (2019-2020)
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Employment Law - Management, Labor Law - Management and Litigation - Labor and Employment in North Carolina by Best Lawyers (2008-2021)
- Named to the "Lawyer of the Year" list in North Carolina for Labor Management Law by Best Lawyers (2021)
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Labor & Employment in North Carolina (2019-2020)
- AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Listed Labor & Employment (2006-2020)
- Business North Carolina magazine’s Legal Elite
- Legal Elite Labor & Employment “Hall of Fame."