Howard’s practice involved labor and employment law and ERISA matters, with emphasis on the service, health care and hospitality industries, as well as educational institutions and public and private sector clients in:
- collective bargaining and labor contract administration
- ERISA suits
- internal investigations
- discrimination suits
- wrongful termination suits
- counseling and litigation avoidance
Howard had extensive experience in representing ERISA Plan administrators and fiduciaries and litigating ERISA cases for multi-employer funds and single employer plans (both qualified and both non-qualified plans).
Howard is a former member of the firm’s Executive Committee and former co-chair of the Labor and Employment Law Department.
Before Fox Rothschild
Having started his legal career at Fox Rothschild, Howard moved in 1986 to another large Philadelphia firm, where he became the Chair of their Labor and Employment Law Department. He returned to Fox Rothschild in 1996.
At the University of Pennsylvania Law School, Howard received the M. H. Goldstein Memorial Prize for Excellence in Labor Law.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Howard has held a number of leadership roles in Easttown Township, including:
- Township Supervisor and Chair
- Board President and Trustee of the Public Library
- School Director and President of Tredyffrin/Easttown School District
He served as chief labor consultant to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in its labor relations issues from 1995 to 2003.
Honors & Awards
- Named as a "Lawyer of the Year" for Employment Law in Philadelphia by Best Lawyers (2016)*
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" rated*
- Selected to the "Super Lawyers" list in Pennsylvania (2006-2017)*
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Labor & Employment Law*
- Recipient of the City of Hope's Spirit of Life Award (2012)