A former United States Trustee, Ira has a keen understanding of the trustee process and how to efficiently achieve the optimum resolution for the involved parties.
He counsels bankruptcy clients on the necessity and timing of filing reorganization cases, and the rights of unsecured and secured creditors prior to and subsequent to bankruptcy filing. Ira is experienced in all facets of Chapter 11 reorganization cases, including preparing and confirming plans of reorganization in debtor cases, representing creditors’ committees, opposing debtors' plans on behalf of creditors and representing creditors and debtors in preference and fraudulent conveyance litigation. He also counsels lenders on their rights as secured creditors.
Ira is a member of the private panel of Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustees. He also represents trustees and receivers in state and federal courts, and has been appointed receiver in SEC actions.
Ira's bankruptcy experience includes:
- Representation of senior secured creditor of 765-condominium complex in Panama City Beach, FL, in Laketown Wharf Chapter 11
- Representation of the bank syndication group led by Citicorp in the Chapter 11 restructuring of a $65 million office building in Washington, D.C.
- Debtor’s counsel for Channel Earth Communications, Demicco Youth Services, Nobart, Inc. and Arthur Machinery Chapter 11 cases
- Representation of the Unsecured Creditors Committee in the Chapter 11 cases of Process Control, Mactron, Thomas Steel, Dartmoor Homes, National Jockey Club and Hurd Windows
- Counsel to the receiver in Lake Shore Asset Management (CFTC Action) and Dynamic Financial Solutions and Asia Pacific (FTC actions)
- Appointed receiver in Efoora, Inc. and Steven W. Salutric (SEC actions)
Before Fox Rothschild
Ira was a member of Shaw Fishman Glantz & Towbin LLC, which merged with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Appointed by U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno, Ira served as the United States Trustee for Region 11, which includes the Northern District of Illinois and the State of Wisconsin, from May 1998 through January 2006. In that capacity, he served as head of the Justice Department's component with primary oversight responsibility for all bankruptcy cases filed in Region 11.
Honors & Awards
- AV Rating, Martindale Hubbell
- Named an "Illinois Leading Lawyer" by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company (2018)
- Listed in Who’s Who in Americas, 70th Anniversary Edition