Jim is a senior partner in the Firm’s Labor & Employment Department. He is a past co-chair of the department and has served as an elected member of the Firm’s Executive Committee.
Jim has devoted his career to representing management in all aspects of the employment relationship and has extensive trial and appellate litigation experience in the arbitral, administrative and judicial systems. His practice includes:
- Union organizing campaigns
- Collective bargaining, strikes and labor arbitration
- Employment discrimination and wrongful discharge issues
- The employment implications of mergers, acquisitions, relocations and other major transactions
- Employment, non-disclosure and non-competition agreements
- Multi-employer benefit plans, including pension fund withdrawal liability issues
- Labor-related antitrust issues
Jim has particular experience in the transportation and logistics industry, including air, rail, trucking and shipping (both ocean and inland); public transit; stevedoring and marine terminal operations; and warehousing and distribution.
Jim writes and speaks frequently on labor & employment issues. He is the author of Pennsylvania Labor & Employment Law (3rd ed. 2018), the first comprehensive treatise on federal and state employment issues affecting Pennsylvania employers and employees, now in its third edition. Jim discusses the background and modern application of the principle of employment-at-will and the contractual, statutory and public policy exceptions to it; common law tort claims in the workplace, including defamation, tortious interference and fraud; employee privacy, including invasion of privacy, protected speech, polygraph testing, drug & alcohol testing and electronic privacy; employee loyalty, including the common law duty of loyalty, trade secrets and restrictive covenants; wage & hours; family, medical and military leaves; health & safety; unemployment compensation; workers' compensation; and plant closings and mass layoffs. Jim has also published a companion volume, Pennsylvania Labor & Employment Law: Employment Discrimination (2016), which provides a more in-depth analysis of the federal, state and local equal opportunity and employment discrimination laws summarized in the main volume. Further information on the books is available here.
Before Fox Rothschild
Jim was a partner at another national law firm. Before entering private practice, he served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Francis L. Van Dusen of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. In law school, Jim served as Editor-in-Chief of the Villanova Law Review, was elected to the Order of the Coif, and received the Hyman-Goodman Award for Outstanding Academic and Extracurricular Achievement.
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" rated
- Named a "Super Lawyer" in the area of Employment and Labor by Philadelphia Magazine and Law & Politics Magazine (2008-2019)
- Named among the "Corporate Counsel Super Lawyers" in the area of Labor & Employment (2009 and 2010)
- Named among "The Best Lawyers in America" in the area of Labor and Employment Law (2007-2019)
- Named to “Super Lawyers Business Edition” in the area of Employment and Labor Law (2013)