Jim Singer provides thoughtful and strategic guidance to help clients identify, acquire, license and protect their intellectual property assets.
As Chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property Department and a registered patent attorney, Jim possesses a deep knowledge of patent, copyright, trademark and trade secrets laws. He handles patent prosecution, infringement and validity studies, freedom-to-practice studies and design-around analyses.
Jim’s experience covers a range of technologies, including: electronic devices; computer systems and software; vehicle automation, drones and other robotic systems; lighting systems; power generation and distribution equipment; wireless communication technologies; printing and packaging systems; medical devices; data security and encryption technologies; cryptocurrency and other blockchain technologies; auto parts; virtual and augmented reality systems; consumer products; food and beverage production and distribution technologies; and many other fields.
Experienced in IP transactions of all sizes, Jim works on a daily basis with:
- software licenses
- patent and trademark licenses
- supply chain agreements for technology-focused businesses
- exclusive marketing relationships
- technology transfer agreements
- outsourced development agreements
Jim also performs IP audits and due diligence to help venture capital firms, private equity funds and potential investors understand the strength of a target company’s IP portfolio, obstacles to market entry and opportunities to expand IP. Jim also uses this experience to help startups and companies who are considering an investment or sale assess and increase the value of their IP positions.
Additionally, Jim provides counsel on matters including trademark protection, registration, use and infringement. He has also negotiated television, radio, website, sponsorship, advertising, and media contracts for professional sports franchises, advertisers and other individuals in the public eye.
Intellectual property is often the lifeblood of a company. As an experienced IP professional and registered patent attorney, Jim keeps you up-to-date with the legal and business aspects of intangible assets on his IP Spotlight blog. Covering topics such as licensing, due diligence, acquisition, compliance and risk management associated with patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets, IP Spotlight provides insight, commentary and tips regarding recent legislation and developments relating to the business of IP.
IP protections for next-generation cybersecurity technologies extend beyond blockchain-based payment systems. Distributed ledger technologies have applications in multiple fields and other network security technologies are equally important, if not more so.
This E-book explores a number of IP trends and strategies for securing a number of cybersecurity assets:
- Intellectual Property Options
- Trends in Patenting Blockchain Technologies
- Defensive Patent Strategies for Blockchain and Distributed Ledger Technologies
- Cybersecurity Patent Strategies vs. Growing Barriers to Software Patents
Before Fox Rothschild
As an electrical engineer in the oil pipeline and electric utility industries, Jim designed and managed construction projects for a variety of power and control systems. Jim also worked in the intellectual property department of a Fortune 500 company and with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Jim serves as a mentor for the AlphaLab and AlphaLab Gear startup accelerators, which were recently ranked as the number six best startup accelerator in the country.
Jim is a frequent author and speaker on IP and other issues relating to technology and the law. He is a regular lecturer at Pennsylvania Bar Institute seminars and at the Duquesne University Small Business Development Center.
Honors & Awards
- Named to the Client Choice Report by Lexology (2017, 2019)
- Named an Intellectual Property Trailblazer by The National Law Journal (2016)
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Intellectual Property - Pennsylvania (2016-2020)
- Named among the Best Lawyers in America for Motion Pictures and Television Entertainment Law (2015-2020)
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Patent Law in Pennsylvania by Best Lawyers (2018-2020)
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Trademark Law in Pennsylvania by Best Lawyers (2020)
- Named among the "IAM Patent 1000" in Pennsylvania for prosecution and transactions by Intellectual Asset Management (2011-2020)
- Named an “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property (2015-2020)