Named as one of the leading intellectual property, trademark, copyright and trade secrets attorneys in California by Chambers USA, Jeff focuses his practice on business and intellectual property, entertainment and technology disputes.
Jeff represents clients in the entertainment industry, including production companies, studios and individuals with their litigation needs, particularly concerning copyright infringement, invasion of privacy, sexual harassment and provides business counseling related to their intellectual property.
Jeff has significant experience with copyright, trademark and unfair competition matters, as well as media, libel and trade secret law and partnership breakups or "business divorces."
Additionally, Jeff represents online technology companies and emerging startups in litigation matters and counsels companies as they seek to protect their intellectual property.
Jeff's recent matters include:
- Representation of a Canadian production company before the International Trade Commission
- Representation in a partnership dispute involving property in the greater Los Angeles area
- Representation of a major studio against sexual harassment charges
- Representation of a film finance company in wrongful termination case
- Representation of broadcasters in numerous disputed claims of copyright infringement and invasion of privacy
- Representation of a cable network in breach of copyright matter brought by competing producer regarding a television special on African-American military regiment
- Representation of a major television network in series of lawsuits designed to prevent airing of television specials revealing magic tricks
- Representation of a bicycle company in a case against a competing exercise equipment company
- Representation of a Canadian broadcaster against several copyright claims brought by a producer
- Representation in a breach of copyright case involving design patterns
Jeff also has more than 20 years of experience handling insurance coverage disputes and has taken coverage and bad faith cases to verdict and appeal.
Jeff's leadership roles within the firm include:
- Office Managing Partner, Los Angeles office (2008-2013)
- Co-chair, Media, Defamation & Privacy Law Practice
- Member, Executive Committee (2008-2013)
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining the firm, Jeff was a partner in the intellectual property and entertainment practices for a national law firm in Los Angeles. He also served as a Deputy Attorney General for the State of California.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Jeff served as a moderator for the Loyola Entertainment Law Review publication, "Legal Implication of Podcasting."
Jeff also serves as chair of the board of Project ECHO, a youth-oriented charity teaching entrepreneurship, including guidance on how to develop, create and launch a business.
Honors & Awards
- Named among the “Top IP Attorneys” by the Daily Journal (2015)
- Named in “Who’s Who Legal” in the area of Sports & Entertainment Law (2014)
- Named as one of the leading intellectual property, trademark, copyright & trade secrets attorneys in California, Chambers USA (2010, 2011 and 2012)
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV Preeminent" rated
- Named a "Super Lawyer" in the field of Intellectual Property by Super Lawyers Magazine (Corporate Counsel Edition) (2009 and 2010)
- Named in Los Angeles & San Francisco Daily Journal's "Top 10 Entertainment IP Lawyers" (2008)
- Named among the Southern California SuperLawyers (2003-2018)
- Named in “Super Lawyers Business Edition” in the area of Intellectual Property (2013)
- Named among the "Angelenos to Know in Intellectual Property Law" by the Los Angeles Business Journal (2012)