Jerome is a nationally recognized estate planning attorney and tax litigator. He focuses his practice in individual, corporate and estate planning, real estate and taxation. Jerome has appeared before the U.S. Tax Court in cases involving complex and timely estate and gift tax issues, including:
- The Karmazin case that dealt with a family limited partnership and sale to a grantor trust;
- The Hackl Stewart case that involved a family limited partnership and sale for a private annuity; and
- The Kohlsaat case that entailed an exercise of "Crummey" withdrawal rights in a trust that permitted use of the gift tax and annual exclusion for life insurance premium payments
Jerome has secured numerous notable Private Letter Rulings from the National Office of the IRS involving partnership interests and charitable lead trusts and the formation of a partnership to hold life insurance, real estate and marketable securities in a manner that significantly reduced estate tax consequences for his clients.
He has also been involved with innovative and significant tax techniques, including the formation of limited liability companies in connection with a $300-million estate in order to obtain the benefit of alternate valuation by distributing limited liability company units within six months of death to beneficiaries.
Jerome has appeared as an expert witness in probate litigation matters involving defense of attorney malpractice in rendering estate planning advice.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining the firm Jerome was the senior partner and managing partner of Deener, Hirsch & Shramenko, P.C., which he founded in 1980. He began his career in 1968 in New York as a Senior Tax Accountant with a “Big 8” accounting firm.
Jerome was also an adjunct professor of taxation at Fairleigh Dickinson University in the Graduate School of Business.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Jerome recently chaired the New Jersey Tax Day seminar sponsored by the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education and also recently presented a seminar on 2011-2012 Estate Planning Opportunities sponsored by New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education. A frequent lecturer, Jerome has presented many programs on taxation and estate planning before the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education and other professional groups, including the New Jersey State Bar Association; the Minnesota State Bar Annual Convention; the Bergen, Union and Passaic County Chapters of the New Jersey State C.P.A. Society; and various chartered life underwriting groups. He has also served as chairman of the Fairleigh Dickinson Tax Seminar for the benefit of tax professionals in the Northern New Jersey Region. Jerome is an ACTEC Fellow and serves as chairman of the Business Planning Subcommittee for drafting LLC Operating Agreements, incorporating current developments. Additionally, he has appeared before national institutions, including the NYU Institute of Taxation, as well as other professional groups in New Jersey and throughout the United States.
Jerome regularly speaks to the media and has been quoted in articles in such publications as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and Forbes Magazine.
Jerome has authored the first, second and third editions of the Estate Planning Strategist (2007), a treatise published by the Institute for Continuing Legal Educating for attorneys and accountants on sophisticated tax and estate planning topics, including recommended forms. The treatise includes articles and updates that were originally published in the Estate Planning Newsletter, including:
- “Planning with Qualified Subchapter S Trusts and Electing Small Business Trusts,” November 1997
- “Is the Sale to Grantor Trust Superior to the Use of a GRAT?,” July 1997
- “Estate Planning for Divorce and Remarriage,” February 1997
- ”Recent Developments Create Planning Opportunities for Spousal Joint Property,” December 1996
- “Charitable Remainder Trusts,” April 1996
- “Planning With Charitable Lead Trusts,” January 1996
- “Family Limited Partnerships,” September 1995
- “Planning With Life Insurance Trusts,” May/June 1995
- “Self Canceling Installment Note (SCIN): The Bet to Die,” February 1995
- “Transferring Future Appreciation Without Transfer Tax Consequences (use of short term GRAT),” November/December 1994
- “Use of GRATs to Transfer Control of Family Owned Businesses and Real Estate,” August 1994
- “Qualified Personal Residence Trust . . . A Rare Opportunity!,” May 1994
In addition, Jerome has authored other articles on estate planning and tax topics including:
- “IRS Now Taking a Bite of Gifts of Family Businesses” New Jersey Law Journal (May 13, 2002)
- “Kohlsaat Confirms Viability of Crummey/Cristofani Trusts --- and More,” Volume 23 of ACTEC Notes (1997)
- “How To Deal Effectively with Expanded IRS Attacks on Crummey/Cristofani Trusts,” Volume 22 of ACTEC Notes (1996)
- “Hitting a 'Home' Run with a Residential Trust,” Real Property Probate and Trust Law Section Newsletter, NJSBA (Spring/Summer, 1993)
- “GRATs Great for Giving Closely Held Business Interests to Family,” Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section Newsletter, NJSBA (Spring 1992)
- “Combining Partnership Freezes with GRATS Can Produce No Lose Estate Plan,” New Jersey Law Journal (September 7, 1992)
- “Transferring Control of Family Owned Businesses,” New Jersey Lawyer (September/October 1991)
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" rated
- Named "Hackensack Area Trusts and Estates Lawyer of the Year," by Best Lawyers (2011)
- Recipient of the 2005 Distinguished Service Award for his many years of dedication and contributions to the field of continuing legal education as a lecturer and author for the Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
- Included in the list of “Top Tax Lawyers” in New Jersey by New Jersey Monthly Magazine
- Included in the list of “Top Lawyers” in the New York/New Jersey area by New York Magazine
- Listed in “Who’s Who in American Law”
- Included in the list of "The Best Lawyers in America" in the area of Trusts & Estates (1995-2018)
- Included in the list of "Super Lawyers" by New Jersey Monthly Magazine and Law & Politics Magazine (2006-2018)
- Included in a list of "New Jersey's Best Lawyers" in the area of Trusts and Estates (2011)
- Listed as one of "Bergen's Top Lawyers" by (201) The Best of Bergen Magazine (2012)