With an appreciation for the continual transformations that occur in the highly regulated health care and benefits industries, Jessica represents employers in the design and maintenance of their employee health and welfare benefit plans, including health plans, wellness programs, dental plans, flexible benefit plans, disability plans, life insurance plans, fringe benefit plans and severance plans.
She also provides compliance advice on the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), the Internal Revenue Code, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA), the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA), Medicare Part D, Medicare Secondary Payer rules and the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA).
Jessica also advises clients on the potential impact of health care reform on their existing plans and helps prepare plan amendments and employee communications in response to changing requirements.
- Defended an employer in Department of Labor major medical plan audit that included a focus on compliance with the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act, resulting in no action taken against the employer.
- Assisted employer in challenging an almost $4 million proposed employer shared responsibility payment, with IRS determination in short order that no penalty was due.
- Assisted multiple employers with multimillion-dollar contracts to outsource all human resources and benefits administration functions.
- Acts as HIPAA counsel to multiple Fortune 500 companies.
- Defended an employer in Department of Labor audit of an employee assistance plan, resulting in no action taken against the employer.
- Advises employers on amendment or termination of retiree medical plans.
- Drafts plan documents, plan amendments, trust agreements, summary plan descriptions and employee communications.
- Assists employers with designing consumer-driven health care programs and integration with flexible benefit plans.
- Assists employers with responding to benefit claims and appeals, including claims by participants and providers.
- Assists employers with collectively bargained health and welfare benefits.
- Advises employers on compliance with state and federal rules applicable to multiple employer welfare arrangements (MEWAs).
- Advises several employers regarding on-site clinic compliance matters.
Before Fox Rothschild
Jessica was a partner at Oppenheimer Wolff & Donnelly LLP prior to its merger with Fox Rothschild LLP in January 2016.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Jessica currently serves as pro bono counsel to a Minnesota nonprofit corporation.
HIPAA & Health Information Technology Blog
Jessica contributes to this blog, which provides information regarding cutting-edge legal and practical developments to assist covered entities and business associates.
Honors & Awards
- Noted as a “North Star Lawyer” by the Minnesota State Bar Association for pro bono work (2012)
- Recipient, Scholar of the College Award from University of Minnesota–Morris